Fully Qualified Name

• First time poster...not sure this the correct section to post this question.  I have some weird behavior in SSMS.  I am connected to two servers:  Server 1 - v12.0.2269.0 and Server 2 - v13.0.5026.0.  IntelliSense is disable since I use ApexSQL Complete.

On Server 1 when I write:  Select * From dbo.table1 - SSMS changes it to:  Select * From Server1.Database1.dbo.table1.  Also, it will do this with any database on Server1.  On Server 2, there are no issues.

Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

• That is unusual. If you turn off Apex SQL, does the behaviour continue?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I disabled Apex SQL's auto-complete and auto-replace, separately and together:

auto-complete/auto-replace - IntelliSense disabled

1. On/Off - created fully qualified name.

2. Off/On - did not create fully qualified name but did not auto-complete - what I expected to happen.  Meaning typing table1 would normally auto-complete to dbo.table1 but it did not.

3. Off/Off - same as above item 2.

Next, I did the above scenarios with IntelliSense enabled.  IntelliSense did not work...so, whatever I typed remained with no recommendations in all three scenarios...not what I expected.

Weirdness continues...

• Regardless of the Intellisense comment, this shows, I think, that the problem lies with Apex auto-complete and not with SSMS, and therefore that you should consider contacting them for support. Do you agree?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Agree.  Thank you for taking a look this.

• As a thought, do you have a linked server on Server1 that points back to Server1?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Mr. Brian Gale wrote:

As a thought, do you have a linked server on Server1 that points back to Server1?

Great thought.  It could also be a synonym between two servers that's using a linked server.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply