FTP and BCP from TSO Dataset

• I have to get a TSO dataset into a temp table in SQL 7.0. We are not allowed to use DTS. I have never FTP'd a TSO file with SQL. How do I do this?

KB

• What is TSO?

FTP doesn't have anything to do with SQL really, even the FTP task in DTS is just a wrapper around basic Windows functionality. You can use the http://FTP.exe from a command line. Is the issue with retrieving the file, loading it, or both?

And just because I'm curious, why aren't you allowed to use DTS?

Andy

• We were told that we can not use DTS because the packages were too hard to support.

I don't think I can describe TSO, but the dataset is mainframe, from DB2. I tried to use DTS just to see if I could, but I can't get to the dataset. I can't (or don't know how) to get to the dataset through ODBC or OLE. The only thing I can come up with is using DOS commands in a .BAT file to transfer the dataset to a temp file. The I can BCP that file into SQL. Will that work?

KB

• Should work without a problem. We do similar work from an Alpha system and it works great! Please reply if there are specific issues in getting the BCP to work correctly for you.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I'd take a second look at DTS. You can certainly create complicated packages, but for just moving data from one place to another it's hard to beat. While the GUI designer is a tremendous aid in building, once built I've had a lot of success with saving out to VB and then just dropping the whole think into an app. Easily maintained then:-)

Andy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply