Frustrated with Vendor Scripts

• Why do vendors write poor SQL Scripts? I hate running them, but they are often required for licensing agreements. When I asked one of my vendors what their maintenance script did (as I do not have access to read the code) this is the answer I received.

The CleanServer.exe performs the following maintenance tasks -

* Cleans up the Windows\Temp folder

* Zips up old logs files to conserve on space.

* Shrinks the database (similar to defragging a hard drive).

This task is ran by the Maintenance schedule task every Saturday morning.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Don't shrink my databases! Not to mention it brings down SQL Server Agent everytime it runs!

I was told I could disable this script if I was doing my own maintenance tasks (which I did), but it will get re-enabled every time they have a software update. Not very user friendly.

• I would perform three steps:

Step 1: get the vendor to permanently modify the .exe excluding the SQL Server stuff.

Step 2a: if they change it, set up your own proper SQL Server maintenance task and remind the vendor not to include the code again with any update.

Step 2b: if they don't get them at least blacklisted so you won't have to deal with more of this stuff... And since I assume you need to approve every update refuse to do so until the program is disabled again.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply