Frequently moving databases without a network

• I (finally) found a new job - teaching database principles. The tricky part that I need some advice with is the campus network: there isn't one. There is a teaching computer lab where students can work while the teacher is there but then that building is off limits after hours. There is a general computer lab that students can use then. The problem is that there is no campus network to speak of in terms of home folders or a similar place to place files.

So my question to the crowd here is: how happy or miserable is SQL Server (we'll be using 2008 Express) to run small student sized data and log files off USB thumb drives? That's the only thing I can think of that the students have (less than half have their own computers) that can be easily moved between the classroom lab and the after hours lab. I've tested it a little and it seems to be OK to create, detach, reattach from a thumb drive. One must be sure to use the 'remove device safely' before yanking it out because the DBMS caches aggressively, even after supposedly detaching the files. That was just with my computer - I don't know about the mishmash array of machines that make up the lab.

Any other ideas or suggestions welcome.

• As you've already discovered, it's possible. I'm not sure I'd recommend it though. Take the time & trouble to create the databases, keep them small and then copy and use attach scripts to put them onto the server. I think that'll be faster & easier than trying to use backups.

We've had Itzik Ben-Gan in to teach at our facility several times. He provides a script that builds a sample database and loads data into it. That way it uses our default storage paths, so he doesn't have to guess where any given system is going to store information.

I'd use one of these two before I went the route of running the db's off of thumb drives. I just see to much opportunity for problems there.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (12/22/2008)

Take the time & trouble to create the databases, keep them small and then copy and use attach scripts to put them onto the server.

Sorry, I don't know what server you refer to. In this thread, I have the problem of no network - just lab computers with SQL Express in multiple locations.

• magarity kerns (12/22/2008)

So my question to the crowd here is: how happy or miserable is SQL Server (we'll be using 2008 Express) to run small student sized data and log files off USB thumb drives? That's the only thing I can think of that the students have (less than half have their own computers) that can be easily moved between the classroom lab and the after hours lab. I've tested it a little and it seems to be OK to create, detach, reattach from a thumb drive. One must be sure to use the 'remove device safely' before yanking it out because the DBMS caches aggressively, even after supposedly detaching the files.

I've done this and been pretty happy with it. Note that the log file should be kept on the same device.

Alternatively, you can use backup/restore to/from your USB drive instead of attach/detach to solve you safety problems.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• magarity (12/22/2008)

Grant Fritchey (12/22/2008)

Take the time & trouble to create the databases, keep them small and then copy and use attach scripts to put them onto the server.

Sorry, I don't know what server you refer to. In this thread, I have the problem of no network - just lab computers with SQL Express in multiple locations.

Server meaning, SQL Server. Express counts.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply