Free online SQl server?

• Hi all,

I want to try out some scripts to get to know T-SQL. Now I don't want to create a new database on my companies server just to practice. Is there an online provider for this? If possible for free...

I just need to store tables and queries and run T-SQL scripts on them...

IJsbrand Schipperus

• you can always connect to the tempdb database and run your scripts; your objects will not have any impact anywhere.

i would simply install a local SQLEXPRESS on my own development machine if i were you...zero impact anywhere, zero chance of accidentally running a script on a server you were not supposed ot.

I've got a paid web hosting that allows me to connect to my own database on their shared server for my web stuff, never saw anyone do a connection for free, though.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Microsoft frequently will give you limited time access to a server online for training purposes. Go here and check it out.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• You could also create a virtual server on your pc with Microsoft Virtual PC application. It's free! Once you installed it you would create a server and then install SQL server. Now you will have a playground for all your SQL server code.

Rudy

• Hi all,

thanks for all the input. I hadn't thought about SQL server express, so I'm going that direction. Let me see whether I can find how to close this thread...

IJsbrand Schipperus

• Grant Fritchey (7/12/2010)

Microsoft frequently will give you limited time access to a server online for training purposes. Go here and check it out.

Just make sure you follow the licensing rules or you could be in a world of hurt if you ever get audited.

My recommendation would be to spend $45 USD and load the Developer's Edition on your desktop or laptop. And, I'd be real careful about playing in production even if I were in TempDB.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply