CREATE FUNCTION dbo.MyFunction ()

RETURNS INT AS

BEGIN

RETURN 1

END

SELECT dbo.MyFunction works

SELECT DBWhereTheFunctionIsLocated.dbo.MyFunction works

SELECT CurrentServerName.DBWhereTheFunctionIsLocated.dbo.MyFunction fails

why? and any way to get around it? i know it seems redundant to include the current server name in the SELECT, but i need to (if i can).

• I believe you must have a linked server to actually do this. This is why it is failing when you are trying this locally on your machine.

What you can do is simply remove the 4th part, or add a linked server to the server you want to connect, to actually be able to call it.

Cheers,

J-F

Cheers,

J-F

• actually, i did try a linked server... that's how i found this in the first place. i know, a linked server pointing to the local server seems redundant, but we're renaming machines soon and i'm trying to cut down on downtime... kind of a preemptive strike.

so it doesn't work WITH the linked server and it doesn't work with the server's name.

• What is the failure message you are getting?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Invalid Column Name 'CurrentServerName' (or linked server name).

i could swear i posted the error in my first post... i must be losing my marbles...

• I seem to remember having trouble with UDFs on remote servers before. I think I ended up having to convert to procs to get them to work.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I missed what you are trying to do - and, you can't do that. You can call a table-valued function through a linked server, but you cannot reference a scalar function that way.

So, this would work:

SELECT {columns}

FROM LinkedServer.db.dbo.function(...) AS table;

Will not work:

SELECT LinkedServer.db.dbo.function(...) AS column;

In fact, using three-part naming to reference a column is deprecated in the column list (SQL Server 2008).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• i can't even do select servername.dbname.dbo.MyFunction() from ssms much less a proc or view...

• jeffrey williams:

thanks for the info... where is that written and how'd you find it?

it's not that i don't believe you (i do believe you)... i just want to find out how i missed finding that...

• That's the point. You can't do scalar UDFs that way. Have to convert it to a proc (or create a parallel proc that locally calls the function), and return the value as an output parameter. Then execute the proc across the linked server connection.

create dbo.MyProc

(@Output_Variable datatype)

as

select @Output_Variable = dbo.MyFunction();

And then:

declare @MyVariable datatype

exec MyRemoteServer.MyDatabase.dbo.MyProc @MyVariable output

select @MyVariable

Something like that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• gsquared:

i'm with you now... read your post too fast and didn't get your meaning. doing too many things at once... sigh.

• As far as being able to call a scalar function - not sure I found that anywhere. But, as far as the deprecated features - it's in the documentation for SQL Server 2008.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply