Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help

• Place it between the code blocks. Look to the left in the "Post Reply" screen.

another explination is to start your code with an

open bracket+the word CODE+a close bracket

[.code.] <<-- remove the periods

and end your code with

open bracket+a backslahs+the word CODE+a close bracket

[./.code.] <<-- remove the periods

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • Jeff: Thanks for the response! I'll look into all those things.

- Jexxxxne Jxxxxxx Bienn.

. According to family legend (my mom), my name was too big for such a tiny baby. So, she shortened to JJ on day 1. I've never been anything else except on official forms.

. Also a sci-fi fan, but not Star Wars. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks Jason!

• JJ B (6/23/2008)

Jeff: Thanks for the response! I'll look into all those things.

- Jeannine Jennifer Bienn.

. According to family legend (my mom), my name was too big for such a tiny baby. So, she shortened to JJ on day 1. I've never been anything else except on official forms.

. Also a sci-fi fan, but not Star Wars. ๐Ÿ™‚

Very cool legend... reminds me of a very old, very corny joke... Who was bigger? Mrs. Bigger or her baby? ...

The baby... because he was a "little Bigger"... :hehe:

Sorry about the bad joke. Thanks for the feedback, Jeannine! ๐Ÿ™‚

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Funny. I like it.

OK, so here's a true story according to my mom. My mom's name is Anne. She is the second and youngest Anne in the family, and so used to be referred to as "little Anne" to distinguish her from "big Anne". When my mom was a little girl, she took offense at this. She complained to one of her Aunts, but the Aunt had no sympathy. "You think that is bad? Remember, I'm the oldest one with my name." Her name was Fanny. "Big..."

Sorry about the diversion everyone. But I'd swear it is a true story, and while I'm not 5 any more, it still tickles my funny bone. I don't remember Aunt Fanny, but I've seen the name (repeated) in the family tree.

- JJ (to my friends)

• I've noticed that code in your articles have keywords color-coded. When I try to copy/paste from Query Analyzer or Enterprise Manager into Word I don't get the colors to copy as well. How can I get properly color-coded code into documentation? Tell me you don't have to manually color each word, please...

• Larry Huisingh (7/3/2008)

I've noticed that code in your articles have keywords color-coded. When I try to copy/paste from Query Analyzer or Enterprise Manager into Word I don't get the colors to copy as well. How can I get properly color-coded code into documentation? Tell me you don't have to manually color each word, please...

There is a special editor for this colored SQL code in posts, it is at: http://extras.sqlservercentral.com/prettifier/prettifier.aspx

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Yep... that's what I use...

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I also think that it is a great article. Unfortunately it canโ€™t be mandatory to read it before the first post (as other pointed out even if before first post, posters will be directed to the article, not everyone will read it). Since I think that more posters should read it, Iโ€™d like to add the articleโ€™s reference my signature, so it will be more exposed. Of course I wonโ€™t add it before getting your permission.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Adi, it would be my pleasure! Absolutely ok with me for you to add the link to your signature. If more folks would do that, we might get better requests for our time. And, thank you very much for the feedback! ๐Ÿ™‚

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• you took a lot of pain to explain things... i might take a week to go thr' all your posts...

• Thanks, eramya... but with about 13,000 posts total, I'm thinking it may take more than a week. ๐Ÿ˜›

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• well, then its time for me to make better use of my week ends:):cool:

• Thanks, Jeff,

This is good advice for any type of forum post for help. But especially useful for SQL.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• webrunner (2/9/2009)

Thanks, Jeff,

This is good advice for any type of forum post for help. But especially useful for SQL.

- webrunner

Thanks, WebRunner... I appreciate the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 211 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply