Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help

• Steve,

When you said you put out posting guide, did you mean for posting T-SQL question ? There are many forums that they are tough to create a template, they are kind of free format, for example 'Editorial'.

• Jeff Moden (11/27/2007)

Jason Selburg (11/27/2007)

Lynn Pettis (11/27/2007)

Actually, more than read the article, take it to heart and follow its example! You know what they say about leading a horse to water...

😎

....You're lucky if he doesn't Pee in it? :hehe:

No... not that one... (cleaned up version :hehe: ) the one about "You can lead a horse to water... and you can make him drink if you can draw a vacuum... but you don't want to use your mouth on that end." 😛

I thought you could "lead a horse to water under the bridge when the grass was greener, but you couldn't make him cry over the spilt milk on the other side"?

• Heh... it depends... is the spoon and the plate there?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff - Great article.

As someone that has worked in IT for over 15 years I don't have a problem admitting that I need help or don't understand something. I love resources like SQLServerCentral to be able to get fresh ideas.

However, if I am searching for some info, I may not read a post if I can't understand what is being asked. Your article is greatly appreciated for those of us trying to learn this stuff.

🙂

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Thanks, Ian... great feedback! I really appreciate it.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• John Rowan (11/27/2007)

I agree in that I've read sooo many posts that were so badly presented that I simply move on to another.

Likewise. I only have so much time to spend here. If he question is difficult to understand or looks like it's going to take a lot of time to sort out data, I'm very likely to give it a miss and answer something else.

Other pet peeves. Posting in the wrong forum (especially 2000 questions in the 2005 forums) and cross posting. There's nothing like spending half an hour working out a solution only to find a bit later that it was answered elsewhere.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (12/3/2007)

John Rowan (11/27/2007)

I agree in that I've read sooo many posts that were so badly presented that I simply move on to another.

Likewise. I only have so much time to spend here. If he question is difficult to understand or looks like it's going to take a lot of time to sort out data, I'm very likely to give it a miss and answer something else.

Other pet peeves. Posting in the wrong forum (especially 2000 questions in the 2005 forums) and cross posting. There's nothing like spending half an hour working out a solution only to find a bit later that it was answered elsewhere.

Let's add to that answering in the context of the wrong forum. When some someone posts a 2000 question and others use new 2005 functionality/syntax to solve the OP's problem!

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John Rowan (12/3/2007)

GilaMonster (12/3/2007)

John Rowan (11/27/2007)

Let's add to that answering in the context of the wrong forum. When some someone posts a 2000 question and others use new 2005 functionality/syntax to solve the OP's problem!

What's the proper etiquette when the OP posts a question in the 2000 forum, and subsequently asks "is there an easier way to do this in 2005?" Is the correct response "Yes! But I'm not telling you until you post to the right forum..."?

• Mike C (12/3/2007)

What's the proper etiquette when the OP posts a question in the 2000 forum, and subsequently asks "is there an easier way to do this in 2005?" Is the correct response "Yes! But I'm not telling you until you post to the right forum..."?

Well, no. In this case you would clearly answer his question. I was more referring to when someone posts a T-SQL question to the 2000 forum and the post gets answered with new 2005 stuff. It happens quite often and at first glance, one may think that the OP has had his/her problem solved so you may move on and find a thread that is still waiting for an initial reply. While it may be helpful to point out to the poster that there are other, new ways to accomplish this same task in 2005, the solution given in the post should work in 2000.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John Rowan (12/3/2007)

I was more referring to when someone posts a T-SQL question to the 2000 forum and the post gets answered with new 2005 stuff.

I'm usually careful with the forums, posting 2005 solutions only in the 2005 forum, unless the OP specifies that they are using SQL 2005. What bugs me is a post in the 2005 forum. I answer it, using 2005 features only to have the OP come back and say that it doesn't work and (either in that post or later) admitting that they're using SQL 2000. Is a waste of both people's time.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • John Rowan (12/3/2007)

Mike C (12/3/2007)

Well, no. In this case you would clearly answer his question. I was more referring to when someone posts a T-SQL question to the 2000 forum and the post gets answered with new 2005 stuff. It happens quite often and at first glance, one may think that the OP has had his/her problem solved so you may move on and find a thread that is still waiting for an initial reply. While it may be helpful to point out to the poster that there are other, new ways to accomplish this same task in 2005, the solution given in the post should work in 2000.

OK, just wanted to make sure since I've run into this situation. A person asked how to do something in SQL 2000, was given an answer, then they asked in the same thread if there was an easier way to do the same thing in 2005. When I answered their 2005 question as well, a third party jumped in the mix and complained that the information given was not posted in the proper forum. Fascinating stuff... 🙂

• Heh... graduates from "Micromanagement 101", I'm afraid... 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Great article Jeff, helped me out a lot!

:w00t:

Taffy

• Thanks for the feedback, Taffy.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• This article is showing in today's newsletter as being updated. What is the update? I don't see any discernable difference?

Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 211 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply