Formatted export in Ecel

• We have reports that are distributed in an excel format, and some managers are quite picky about the format.

Tabular reports of course have headers which scroll down the page / repeat on new pages when shown through the report server.

When these tabular reports are exported to Excel, is there any way of getting the headers to show on each page? Currently the report is exported but does not repeat the header on each new page.

Any help would be great.

Thx

• Change the spreadsheet template to have a "freeze panes" in the correct spot.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I didn't know that the export functionality used an excel template. Where can I find this template then?

• It doesn't... from the way you were talking, I thought you were using a "blank formatted" spreadsheet file as a template that you copied for new files.

What are you currently using to copy data to the spreadsheet.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Currently the reports are distributed via subscriptions, with the "render format" set as Excel. There is no manual export of the report as this is controlled by the report manager itself.

• Ah crud... my bad... I gotta learn to read which forum these are in... I know squat about reporting services... my appologies.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• LOL - toooooo many late nights reading forums... 😉

Still, I read in BOL that you have little control over the page format when rendering to Excel. Bummer.

• If you're up for using 3rd-party products, OfficeWriter from http://www.softartisans.com provides much more control over Excel output. Strictly spreaking, it uses Excel as the development environment for reports so that you have all Excel capabilities available. In fact, Microsoft has licensed the technology for a future (2008?) release in SSRS, but if you need the ability now....

Another link with more detail: http://officewriter.softartisans.com/officewriter-250.aspx

• Jason Coleman (11/3/2007)

LOL - toooooo many late nights reading forums... 😉

Still, I read in BOL that you have little control over the page format when rendering to Excel. Bummer.

You CAN get some control over the format using an empty but preformatted spreadsheet (with column names included), a little VBS copy copy the template to a new file, and OPENROWSET.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply