I wonder if the plug-ins (maybe the wrong term) used for the various available export formats, are what is to blame. It is odd that Wingdings printed properly to PDF, but not Wingdings 2, while neither font printed properly exported to Excel.
I tried exporting to Word this morning; both fonts printed properly, and from that format I printed to PDF.
Meanwhile, I've opened a ticket with our support folks and asked that they install both fonts if either/both are missing.
Its odd that if they are not installed on the server, then the fonts installed on my machine are being used, but inconsistently.