First Poll for 2006

• "I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet." - Indian proverb.

• The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

• If everything seems under control, your're just not going fast enough. -Mario Andretti

• I wholeheartedly believe this is THE MOST IMPORTANT one of all time:

Righty tighty, Lefty loosey

•  

From Winston Churchill:

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

Have a great weekend,

John L.

• The faults of the burglar are the qualities of the financier.

George Bernard Shaw

Seems very timely these days in the ol' USA.

• Some personal faves

“One day we’ll look back at this moment and laugh, nervously.”

“He’s a stupid mans idiot.”

“I am SOOoooo glad I’m not you right now.”

“If the cap fits wear it, however, there are other forms of contraception…”

“All men are potential rapists! I beg to differ I’m a convicted one.”

And here’s one I hate

“It’s always in the last place you look”

Of course it is. Why on earth would you continue looking for it when you’ve found it.

• The art of doing mathematics consists in finding that special case which contains all the germs of generality. Quotations by David Hilbert

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

"Hitch your wagon to a star." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you knew how much work went into it, you wouldn't call it genius." ~Michelangelo

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." ~Mother Teresa

"If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves." ~Thomas Edison

"All our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts." ~Winston Churchill

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." ~Henry David Thoreau

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." ~Goethe

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared." ~Eddie Rickenbacker

"Quit now, you'll never make it. If you disregard this advice, you'll be halfway there." ~David Zucker

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~Albert Einstein

History teaches that war begins when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap." ~Ronald Reagan

Kindest Regards,

The art of doing mathematics consists in finding that special case which contains all the germs of generality.

• I have always liked the following:

It is always earlier when you plow around the stump - from an old farmer.

and

You can not steal second with your foot on first - author of book by sam title.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Thanks for starting this collection! Here are some of my favourites:

If you're not aware that you have a problem, how can you call for help?

Eternity is really long, especially near the end – Woody Allen

A politician is someone who approaches every problem with an open mouth.

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement

Information – the answer to the questions asked

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of the truth than lies – Nietzche 1878

The great tragedy of science: the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact – Huxley 1870

Higher management cannot tell the difference between an estimate and a commitment

Methodology gives those with no ideas something to do

When you are ready to learn a teacher will appear

• I got away with this one once when a boss kept looking over my shoulder and trying to micromanage me:

Here's JAFO!

(Just Another F...ing Observer).

(From the movie Blue Thunder)

-SQLBill

• A sampling of notable sayings I've heard:

"It ain't for the calf to bellow like the bull." (Barnyard-philosophy-ese for "Don't brag about something you haven't earned the bragging rights for.")

"There are two types of people in the world: those that dichotomize, and those that don't."

"It never pays to get into a pissing contest: no matter who wins, everyone gets wet."

"Before you do anything else, take a memory dump." (College professor's advice on taking essay exams)

"If you don't vote, don't b**ch."

"Never tune your bagpipes indoors."

• "As you get older, work becomes more fun and fun becomes more work."

From my friend Paul....

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning."

... and my favorite IT expression ....

"What could possibly go wrong?"

• Hi Everyone I have a few that I like to use...(none are my own creation - I just "borrowed" them from others signatuire blocks)

It's always darkest before the dawn - So if you're going to steal your neighbours paper - that's the time to do it.

Smith & Wesson; The original Point and Click Device.

Gavin Baumanis

Smith and Wesson. The original point and click device.

• Here are a couple more:

I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame you.

I can't believe I padded my resume for this...

How does Marth Stewart manage to do all that with only 200 employees?

David Lathrop
    DBA
    WA Dept of Health

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply