Finding All identities in a multiple insert

• Hi,

I have the following situation

create myTable ( cntr INT IDENTITY(1,1) , mystring1 varchar(10) , mystring2 varchar(10))

create anotherTable ( string1 varchar(10) , string2 varchar(10) , myNumber int)

The following stored proc can be executed by up to 200 users concurrently

create proc dbo.myProc ( @id INT)

AS

BEGIN

INSERT INTO myTable (myString1, myString2)  select string1, string2 from  anotherTable where myNumber = @id

-- usually this filters the rowset to fewer than 10 records (but theoretically can be 10,000)

END

what I require is a list of all the identity values associated with this transaction

so if there are 10 inserts I need 10 values returned etc.

I know @@scope_identity() will give me last record but I need more than that and I cant work back using @@rowcount  because sometimes the identities are not concurrent for the transaction

any help would be much appreciated

Gareth

• You might have to try something like this, but I hope there's an easier way:

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.myProc ( @id INT)

AS

CREATE TABLE #holdtable

(cntr INT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY)

BEGIN TRANSACTION

INSERT INTO #holdtable

SELECT cntr

FROM   myTable

INSERT INTO myTable (myString1

, myString2)

SELECT string1

, string2

FROM   anotherTable

WHERE  myNumber = @id

SELECT new.cntr

FROM   myTable new

WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1

FROM  #holdtable old

WHERE  old.cntr = new.cntr)

COMMIT TRANSACTION

GO

I don't work a lot with extended transactions, so I'm anxious to see if others agree with my solution.  I don't know if you need to use an explicit table lock on 'myTable', or if you need a lock at all (depending on how your app works), but the idea is you need a before and after shot, and the ability to compare the differences.

• Lee,

ok,  I'm not sure this would work, if two users were both executing procedure  and filling table at same time then this

SELECT new.cntr

FROM   myTable new

WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1

FROM  #holdtable old

WHERE  old.cntr = new.cntr)

would list all the entries since before my insert, including mine and those of the other user.

Thankyou for your reply I appreciate it

Gareth

• Perhaps you could add an extra field to the table you are inserting into - call it BatchID or something similar - then you just need to work out how to code a unique BatchID every time the stored proc runs - some sort of user/time algorithm should do the trick - and insert that as well.  The rest is easy ...

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hmmm.  It might not work as coded, but not for the reasons you suggest, or so I think.

The BEGIN TRANSACTION locks out other users while you are inserting, so once you have the locks, you shouldn't need to worry about the rows inserted by others.  The only thing extra you might need to do is to add an explicit TABLOCK on 'myTable' in the previous INSERT.  The final SELECT should only pick up on the values that did not exist prior to your INSERT.

Given the specifications, I just don't see much of an alternative to locking other users out while your transaction gathers the information it needs.

• Something else to consider is using a trigger on 'myTable' to isolate the new identity values, all of which will be contained in the 'inserted' virtual table.  I should have thought of that right off the bat.

• Me too!  Good idea.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil,

yes, brilliant idea unfortunatelty the schema is locked down and cant be changed ( well at least for next 12 months).

Lee,

I am unable to lock the table because it is used to much by the current system.

I have a version that works using a cursor inside a trigger and though this is ok for small recordsets its a unworkable when the batch size is over 1000 rows

I really appreciate all this feedback

Gareth

• Why did you need to use a cursor?  Perhaps we can find a (fast) set-based approach if you provide more info.

• Hi,

I suggest using the INSERT Trigger to populate to another table from the virtual Inserted table. I think that will take care of it.

Thanks

RN

• Hmmm.  That's quite a list of constraints.  Can't lock out other users.  Can't use a cursor.  Can't add a trigger.

Well, I'll take another stab.  This goes row by row, but eschews the cursor thing.  I have syntax-checked it, but haven't tested it.  Something like this ought to work, albeit slower than if you were doing this in a set operation.  I still think the trigger solution is the best bet.

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.myProc

(@id INT)

AS

DECLARE @mystring1 VARCHAR (10)

, @mystring2 VARCHAR (10)

, @rowcount  INT

, @seq       INT

, @maxseq    INT

, @cntr      INT

CREATE TABLE #newcntrs

(cntr INT NOT NULL)

CREATE TABLE #holdtable

(seq       INT IDENTITY NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY

, myString1 VARCHAR (10) NOT NULL

, myString2 VARCHAR (10) NOT NULL)

INSERT INTO #holdtable (myString1

, myString2)

SELECT mystring1

, mystring2

FROM   anotherTable

WHERE  myNumber = @id

SELECT @maxseq = IDENT_CURRENT ('#holdtable')

, @seq    = 0

WHILE @seq < @maxseq

BEGIN

SELECT @seq = @seq + 1

SELECT @mystring1 = mystring1

, @mystring2 = mystring2

FROM   #holdtable

WHERE   seq = @seq

SELECT @rowcount = @@ROWCOUNT

IF @rowcount != 1

--THEN

CONTINUE

--END IF

INSERT INTO myTable (mystring1

, mystring2)

VALUES (@mystring1

, @mystring2)

SELECT @cntr = SCOPE_IDENTITY ()

INSERT INTO #newcntrs

VALUES (@cntr)

END

SELECT cntr

FROM  #newcntrs

ORDER BY cntr

GO

• All,

thanks for your input.

I will work on a variation of Lee's stored proc and stick with the trigger until I get it working

Thanks for everything

gareth

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply