Find Space occupied by a Row

• T.Ashish

SSCarpal Tunnel

Hi All,

Do we have any way to find out the space occupied by individual records in a table? My objective is to find out the space occupied by each record in a table where columns names can vary from int, float, varchar, nvarchar(max) etc.

For example, in below table, where content of both the records is very much different:

records

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

• Jeff Moden

SSC Guru

T.Ashish wrote:

My objective is to find out the space occupied by each record in a table ...

To what end?  What will such information be used for?  I ask because the ultimate usage of such information may make a difference in how such a thing might be done.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".
    "If "pre-optimization" is the root of all evil, then what does the resulting no optimization lead to?"

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor

SSC Guru

You can calculate this easily, using the datatypes and accounting for overhead. I believe varchar is 2 bytes overhead, and nvarchar is likely 2 or 4. It's in the docs somewhere.

However, I agree with Jeff. What's the point here?

• frederico_fonseca

SSChampion

and... if using compression space used will vary a lot depending on the compression type and on the data.

• Mr. Brian Gale

SSC-Insane

To add to Steve's comment, there is more overhead than just the dataype overhead on a row.  On top of the overhead by VARCHAR and NVARCHAR, you also have the row header, null block, etc.

A good read on that is available here:

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/calculate-data-row-space-usage-in-sql-server/

If you need the min, max, and average,

DBCC SHOWCONTIG('<table name>') WITH SHOW TABLERESULTS

will give you that.

If you need an estimate on row sizes, you can use DATALENGTH(<column name>) and sum up that value for every column.  You'll be missing the overhead (both datatype and the SQL magic stuff), but will give you a rough estimate.  Did that on a 3 column table I had and the table had 11 bytes of overhead.  I figured this out by using the DATALENGTH calculation I suggested, grabbed the smallest value and compared that to the MIN value of the SHOWCONTIG command.  Probably not 100% accurate, but got me a value that worked for getting the max value that matched up with the SHOWCONTIG results.

Would be a huge pain in the behind to make this work for all tables, but if you are only working with a single table, it gives you a rough idea...

• Jeff Moden

SSC Guru

Rather than using DBCC SHOWCONTIG, use sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats.  The row header information is included as a part of the Min, Avg, and Max row sizes.

I'd still like to know why someone needs it for every row, though.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".
    "If "pre-optimization" is the root of all evil, then what does the resulting no optimization lead to?"

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply