Find old Linked Servers, master restored with different name

• I'm trying to see if someone changed a linked server at some point on a server. I restored the master database to a server and called it something different. However when I run select * from sys.servers it still returns what is sitting in the actual master database.

Running select * from sysservers only work on the actual master database.

Been trying to find the create script for sys.servers view but have have not luck in finding it. Since that is a view, certainly it should be possible to recreate what it does but make it point at a different database.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anders

• Have you tried restoreddatabasename.sys.servers? I believe just doing sys.servers will always hit the master database for the instance.

• based on what you are saying, it seems this is a SQL2005 or newer Database server.

The sys.servers view is visible from within the resource database. You would have to copy the database and attach it with a different name.

Check the resource database for those linked servers. Not a guarantee but I was unable to find them from a master database backup (even explicitly referencing the newmaster.sys.servers as Jack suggested).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply