Failed 70-462. Worth doing 70-461 before resit?

• Well done Simon and thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping I've got all bases covered for when I sit 463 in June.

I'm curious how people who have sat and passed them all would rate all 3 exams in order of difficulty.

• For me as a BI Developer/DBA i found that 463 was the easiest, then 461, then 462. YMMV.

MCSE: Data Platform
    MCSE: Business Intelligence
    Follow me on Twitter: @WazzTheBadger
    LinkedIn Profile: Simon Osborne

• Passed 70-463 yesterday. Enjoyed the exam much more than 70-461. Going to have a break then focus on 70-462 in a few months.

• Do I need to pass 70-461 before I can take 70-462? Or can I take the 70-462 first then will take 70-461 then last 70-463

• zaizai1780 (9/27/2013)

Do I need to pass 70-461 before I can take 70-462? Or can I take the 70-462 first then will take 70-461 then last 70-463

u may try in any order.!!

no restrictions as such.

• Hi

I attempted Exam 70-462 but failed . Exam was much harder than I expected.So many questions from Clustering and High Availability.Microsoft skilled mesure are not clear at all.I manged to get 643 instead of 643. Any suggestion for a study would be much grateful.I had passed my exam 70-461,70-463 with first attempt.

should I try reattempt.

Thanx

• Hello,

anybody has an idea, how much time do you have to pass all three exams?

are there any restrictions to the period of time to pass the exams to get the MCSA?

for example, pass the 70-461 in 2014 and then after two years pass the 70-462 and 463...

Thanks...

• You have years to pass all three exams (461, 462, 463) to earn the MCSA. The only time limit will be when Microsoft stops offering the exam. You can see a list of retired exams on this web page:

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/retired-certification-exams.aspx

For the SQL Server 2008 MCITP, the 70-433, 450 and 451 exams are being retired on July 31, 2015 for a lifespan of approximately 7 years. If the same lifespan holds true for the 2012 MCSA, then you will have until 2019 to complete all three exams.

However, the value of earning a new SQL Server 2012 MCSA in the year 2016 and later will be approximately zero since SQL Server 2016 be on the market. Get certified in 2015 or wait for the SQL Server 2016 program to be released.

• Thanks a lot for your answer. It's very good to receive an impression about the time span as there are no official information. Thanks again.

But, in my opinion, the value of SQL Server 2012 MCSA in 2016 or even in 2019 wouldn't be insignificant!

The changes that occur in SQL Server 2014 are not that huge to make a certificate of 2012 trashy.

Furthermore, many compnies will still use SQL Server 2012 even in 2020 and later.

• sinan.petrustoma (5/12/2015)

Furthermore, many compnies will still use SQL Server 2012 even in 2020 and later.

Mainstream support for SQL Server 2012 ends in July 2017 and Extended support ends in July 2022. While there may be some companies using SQL Server 2012 in the year 2020, they will be in the minority and not the type of company that most people will want to work for. These are the type of companies that cannot keep up with the pace of technology and don't need certified or experienced employees. These companies just need a warm body to "keep the lights on" and "put out the fires".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?sort=PN&alpha=sql%20server&Filter=FilterNO

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatforminsider/archive/2015/05/04/sql-server-2016-public-preview-coming-this-summer.aspx

I will reiterate my advice for anyone pursuing SQL Server 2012 certification - do it by the end of 2015 or wait until the SQL Server 2016 certifications are announced.

• I might agree with you in some points... but where are that huge differences between 2008, 2012, and even 2014 to make an older certification not valueable anymore? does 2014 use neither SQL nor the relational model?

If you are certified in any of the SQL Server versions, you proved your ability to use databases and sql development in a professional manner. The few functions and extras in the newer versions could be learnd in just few weeks (in worst case).

Should everybody studying computer science (or everything else) wait for his degree because the technology is changing? And a degree completed in 2006 is no worthy anymore?

• cppwiz (5/11/2015)

You have years to pass all three exams (461, 462, 463) to earn the MCSA. The only time limit will be when Microsoft stops offering the exam. You can see a list of retired exams on this web page:

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/retired-certification-exams.aspx

For the SQL Server 2008 MCITP, the 70-433, 450 and 451 exams are being retired on July 31, 2015 for a lifespan of approximately 7 years. If the same lifespan holds true for the 2012 MCSA, then you will have until 2019 to complete all three exams.

However, the value of earning a new SQL Server 2012 MCSA in the year 2016 and later will be approximately zero since SQL Server 2016 be on the market. Get certified in 2015 or wait for the SQL Server 2016 program to be released.

I learn 70-461 for a month now. I won't take exam until I am confident in myself to pass it. So, I cant sit and do nothing until release of SQL Server 2016, neither I can't take exam about SQL Server 2014 which doesn't exists. Only thing I can do is prepare myself for these and pass them at worse case until like middle 2016. My question is is it worth it, because MCSA doesn't require recertification, and MCSE will be changed to fit SQL Server 2016. Will I be permitted to take MCSE afterwards if MS change it to 2016 version of SQL Server? Or I will need to take MCSA again but for SQL Server 2016 in order to begin with MCSE for SQL Server 2016?

Sorry about english, not my native.

• First, let me state that my comments are only my opinion and I have no inside knowledge or contact with the Microsoft certification team regarding their plans for SQL Server 2016. However, I have been earning Microsoft certifications for 15 years so I have seen a pattern to how new certifications are deployed and valued in the job market. After SQL Server 2016 is released, the value of SQL Server 2012 certification will drop sharply.

Second, I didn't mean to imply that anyone should "sit and do nothing" instead of earning a certification. Rather, you should focus your energy on efforts that will have the greatest payback personally and professionally. You could earn certifications in other technology or take a university class. Personally, I'm upgrading my Oracle OCA certification to 12c while watching for updates on the SQL Server 2016 certification program.

My best guess for the SQL Server 2016 upgrade certification path is that if you earned your 2012 MCSA, you will be able to take an upgrade exam to earn a 2016 MCSA. After that upgrade exam, then you could proceed to take the individual exams to earn the 2016 MCSE.

However, there will most likely NOT be an exam to upgrade directly from 2012 MCSA to a 2016 MCSE. You will need to certify as a 2016 MCSA first to meet the prerequisites, then take the 2016 MCSE exams.

• cppwiz (6/18/2015)

First, let me state that my comments are only my opinion and I have no inside knowledge or contact with the Microsoft certification team regarding their plans for SQL Server 2016. However, I have been earning Microsoft certifications for 15 years so I have seen a pattern to how new certifications are deployed and valued in the job market. After SQL Server 2016 is released, the value of SQL Server 2012 certification will drop sharply.

Second, I didn't mean to imply that anyone should "sit and do nothing" instead of earning a certification. Rather, you should focus your energy on efforts that will have the greatest payback personally and professionally. You could earn certifications in other technology or take a university class. Personally, I'm upgrading my Oracle OCA certification to 12c while watching for updates on the SQL Server 2016 certification program.

My best guess for the SQL Server 2016 upgrade certification path is that if you earned your 2012 MCSA, you will be able to take an upgrade exam to earn a 2016 MCSA. After that upgrade exam, then you could proceed to take the individual exams to earn the 2016 MCSE.

However, there will most likely NOT be an exam to upgrade directly from 2012 MCSA to a 2016 MCSE. You will need to certify as a 2016 MCSA first to meet the prerequisites, then take the 2016 MCSE exams.

Everything is ok, I didn't mean that you have inside info of any kind, I just asking for opinion and advice from someone that has experience in these matters. But what if I get my MCSA certificate and pass first from MCSE for SQL Server 2012. If they upgrade MCSE to 2016, my passed exam is wasted if I understood properly?

Very ungrateful position, basically it is going to be most likely waste of money and time since I wouldn't have opportunity to take MCSE exams. In the time I pass MCSA it would be time to upgrade exams to SQL Server 2016 and I have no possibility for easier staying up to date with my certs no matter i got cert few months or half year ago. 🙁 I would have to take all three again with some modifications to be up to date.

My plan was after I get MCSA to continue to learn for MCSE right away, but it is very unlikely now.

• mili.nikolic (6/18/2015)

But what if I get my MCSA certificate and pass first from MCSE for SQL Server 2012. If they upgrade MCSE to 2016, my passed exam is wasted if I understood properly?

You understand it correctly.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply