Export SSRS-Server contents as Reporting Services Project (Visual Studio)

• Hi there,

is there a way to connect to an SSRS server instance and export all items (data sources, data sets, reports) and import them into a new or existing Reporting Services project in Visual Studio using the same structure?

Thanks!

• You could use powershell to do it. If you google 'powershell extract rdl' you will get a few options, ie

https://sqlbelle.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/how-to-download-all-your-ssrs-report-definitions-rdl-files-using-powershell

It is a bit old but it works fine for SQL 2016 and it will get you started.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Hi David,

I hadn't thought about Powershell.

This worked great, thank you very much!

• Sandigmann wrote:

Hi David,

I hadn't thought about Powershell. This worked great, thank you very much!

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Anon.

• I know it doesn't contribute to the conversation at hand but it's just fascinating to me that this type of thing is still an issue since the release in 2005 and that one still has to resort to things like PowerShell to do this.  To be sure, I'm using the word "fascinating" as a "suitable for work" replacement for all the expletives that I believe would be more appropriate behind closed doors. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I know it doesn't contribute to the conversation at hand but it's just fascinating to me that this type of thing is still an issue since the release in 2005 and that one still has to resort to things like PowerShell to do this.  To be sure, I'm using the word "fascinating" as a "suitable for work" replacement for all the expletives that I believe would be more appropriate behind closed doors. 😀

Couldn't agree more Jeff 🙂

In the past I did use some MS software to migrate from 2005 to 2008 but it was PITA and POS 🙁

Anon.

• David Burrows wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I know it doesn't contribute to the conversation at hand but it's just fascinating to me that this type of thing is still an issue since the release in 2005 and that one still has to resort to things like PowerShell to do this.  To be sure, I'm using the word "fascinating" as a "suitable for work" replacement for all the expletives that I believe would be more appropriate behind closed doors. 😀

Couldn't agree more Jeff 🙂

In the past I did use some MS software to migrate from 2005 to 2008 but it was PITA and POS 🙁

Not that this excuses having the ability to export/import fully - but I think the reason is the assumption that everyone is using some type of code repository (git - for example) where everything is saved off ready for redeployment if needed.

The reality is that there are a lot of organizations where report writing and ETL processes are not part of a development team and they do not have access to these repositories (or the training to use them appropriately).  Or - the organization is small and setting up a repository isn't seen as necessary.

So we see a lot of situations where the person who developed the report is the only one that has that project - and it is stored locally on the workstation.  Or - that employee has left the organization and no one has access to that users local files.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply