Export all tables to CSV, seperate files

• Hello All,

As part of a data migration project I need to create individual CSV files for each of the tables in a database (about 100) and I was wondering what the best approach would be. I will need to define the field delimiter (;) and how strings are handles (not delimited with quotes)

I will need to run this many times for testing so am hoping to create an SP to do most of the work for me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I should add the choice of exporting to CSV is not mine to make so that anything else (i.e. xml) is not an option

Thanks Much,

Steve

Much Thanks,

Steve Dingle

• I'd use SSIS to do it.

• I wrote a C# .net program that runs from the command line so you can put it into batch file. I takes a query (like: select * from table) as a parameter and optional command line switches to specify delimters and quoted text and so forth. If you have visual studio 2005 I can email you the source code... or the exe if you don't.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• Hey Steve (are you the Steve Dingle that used to be a VFP programmer?):

I agree wtih Jack. I think it's pretty easy to create an SSIS package to do what you need to do, and you can run it as needed.

Del Lee

• SSIS is okay, if you have it available and want to take the time to set it up. My CSV generator runs on any box against any database or version of SQL server (even express) with nothing to set up.

• Thanks for pointer to SSIS - will have to look into it, I do admit I know anything about it.

Sturner - yes I do have access to VS2005, and would appreciate the source if you are willing to share. Email address is: stevenpdingle[at]hotmail[dot]com

Much Thanks,

Steve Dingle

• email on the way

• sturner (12/14/2009)

email on the way

It would be really cool if you'd attach it to this post. Thanks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• okay, for anyone interested the C# source is attached.

• It would be really cool if you'd attach it to this post. Thanks.

That would be great if you could!

I could use a tool like this.

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply