Explaining Our Professions to Our Parents

• xsevensinzx - Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:13 AM

Well, I guess I'm a bit younger in the field. I also grew up playing on the computer non-stop since I was 15 years old. My parents have had a battle with me to get off the computer and do school work since then. Never worked out, I failed in school completely because of being hooked on the computer so much. They know very well what I do because they have battled it for so long. In the end, I think they are happy I did because now I have a great career with high earning potential in their eyes regardless if I graduated or not.

For all other people, I simply tell them I am a computer engineer. Very few people would understand what a data architect truly is and it's too complicated to explain.

Heh.... I was once trying to explain what being a data architect was like to someone with a very limited technical background and got asked, so you're basically like a librarian?

Sadly enough that's not too far off in a very broad sense, now I just say I program computers.

• ZZartin - Tuesday, November 6, 2018 8:25 AM

Heh.... I was once trying to explain what being a data architect was like to someone with a very limited technical background and got asked, so you're basically like a librarian?

Sadly enough that's not too far off in a very broad sense, now I just say I program computers.

In reality, that's usually all people are looking for, just a general category so they can picture what you do. What difference would it make to them whether you're a DBA or developer, or data scientist. If in general conversation someone says they're a lawyer, would you normally be really concerned about whether it's tax law, corporate law, criminal law or family law? Probably not.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• skeleton567 - Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:40 AM

Well, I know that my parents would thoroughly understand my career, even though I lost both of them well before it was fully developed.  They were farmers by choice, up before dawn milking the cows and feeding the livestock, then leaving the farm to work all day at 'paying' jobs, then returning home to run farm equipment until well after dark, and tending to garden crops and canning/freezing meals while my grandmother prepared meals and cleaned house. No one in the family gave it a second thought.  It was what was necessary and expected.  Weren't many 'snowflakes' in those days.  After school, instead of participating in sports and activities, I went home and tended my own livestock projects which helped finance my education, and in the summer worked on a number of other farms where we could get work baling hay and cleaning crops of weeds. And the best wages we ever got for hot, dirty work was 75 cent an hour.  Maybe that's why I appreciated my IT career so much....

I did similar... also went to a 1 room school house for a couple of years where if we wanted to ride the school horse (no saddle) at lunch, we had to feed/water it and brush it down when we were done.  I'm also here to tell you that it really is walking uphill in both directions (no buses and about a two mile walk for a 6 year old).  Never got paid for anything.  I was just expected even if it was to help out a neighbor.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply