EXISTS or NOT EXISTS function

• I have a situation where I am thinking of using EXISTS or NOT EXISTS function.
    I have a scenario where some of the records in my table has NAME TYPE of 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.
    If an account in my NAME table has 0 and 2 record types, I only want to retrieve record type 2.
    If an account in my NAME table has 0, 1, 3 record types, I only want to retrieve record type 0.
    Basically, if record type 2 exists, give me record type with 2.  If record type 2 does not exist, then give me 0.
    Every record should always have record type of 0.
    Example of data:

PARENTACCOUNT          TYPE            Street                                                              City                                      State     Zipcode

0000441985                       0             2099 KIMBERWICKE CIR                               OVIEDO                              FL            32765-7578

0000015190                       0             10201 GROSVENOR PL APT 1104               NORTH BETHESDA          MD         20852-4618

0000015190                       2             10201 GROSVENOR PL APT1104               ROCKVILLE                        MD         20852-4618

As you can see, account 0000441985 has only TYPE 0, So I want this record.  Account 0000015190 has TYPE 0 and 2, so I want TYPE 2 record.

Here is sample of my query:

SELECT

N.PARENTACCOUNT

,n.TYPE

,n.Street

,n.City

,n.State

,n.Zipcode

FROM DBO.NAME n

WHERE n.PARENTACCOUNT = '0000015190'

AND n.ProcessDate = '20170306'

AND n.TYPE IN (0,2)

AND EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM DBO.NAME mailing  WHERE mailing.ProcessDate = '20170306' AND mailing.TYPE = 2 AND mailing.PARENTACCOUNT = n.PARENTACCOUNT)

It does not work the way I want it.
    Any help is appreciate it.
    Thank you

• I would use a NOT EXISTS to exclude the records with a type 2, and then UNION that to a query that only picks up type 2, like this:
    --get all the type 0 where there is no type 2
    SELECT
        N.PARENTACCOUNT
        ,n.TYPE
        ,n.Street
        ,n.City
        ,n.State
        ,n.Zipcode
    FROM
        DBO.NAME n
    WHERE
        n.ProcessDate = '20170306'
        AND n.TYPE = 0
        AND NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM DBO.NAME mailing WHERE mailing.ProcessDate = '20170306' AND mailing.TYPE = 2 AND mailing.PARENTACCOUNT = n.PARENTACCOUNT)

UNION ALL     

--and get all the ones that have a type 2
    SELECT
        N.PARENTACCOUNT
        ,n.TYPE
        ,n.Street
        ,n.City
        ,n.State
        ,n.Zipcode
    FROM
        DBO.NAME n
    WHERE
        n.ProcessDate = '20170306'
        AND n.TYPE = 2

Other folks might know more efficient ways of getting the same result.

• Thank you for your response.

• Garin T - Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:07 PM

I have a situation where I am thinking of using EXISTS or NOT EXISTS function.
    I have a scenario where some of the records in my table has NAME TYPE of 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.
    If an account in my NAME table has 0 and 2 record types, I only want to retrieve record type 2.
    If an account in my NAME table has 0, 1, 3 record types, I only want to retrieve record type 0.
    Basically, if record type 2 exists, give me record type with 2.  If record type 2 does not exist, then give me 0.
    Every record should always have record type of 0.

Do you have some sort of code or lookup table that these types are foreign keyed to?  It seems what you really want is some sort of priority based on type, that you could sort on for each parent account, grouping by the parent account.

• The standard way to return one row from a group based on a priority is to use ROW_NUMBER.

;
    WITH CTE AS
    (
        SELECT
            N.PARENTACCOUNT,
            n.TYPE,
            n.Street,
            n.City,
            n.State,
            n.Zipcode,
            ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY PARENTACCOUNT, ProcessDate ORDER BY n.Type DESC) AS rn
        FROM DBO.NAME n
        WHERE n.PARENTACCOUNT = '0000015190'
        AND n.ProcessDate = '20170306'
        AND n.TYPE IN (0,2)
    )
    SELECT *
    FROM CTE
    WHERE rn = 1

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply