Execution Plan Types

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Execution Plan Types

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Shocklingly enough, I got this one right.

Yeah, I know, I know. But I'm helping to keep an eye on the site with Steve on sabbatical. Part of this means I'm answering (or not answering as the case may be) all the Question of the Day. Then I comment on my answers (or lack thereof), ta-da, instant monitoring.

Honestly, I expect one or two objections to this one (the question, not my answer).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Your article https://www.scarydba.com/2009/02/25/three-kinds-of-execution-plans/ states

" You read that correctly, three kinds of execution plans. "

??

• I too did 3, I was expecting XML, Graphical and Text as the answer

• I expected to see the option with number 2 for serial and parallel plan types. Could be that I just misunderstood the question.

• Scary but interesting question, thanks Grant. At first I thought that all possible answers could be considered correct. After a moment of despair, I found a hint for the right solution in this useful book.

• Ha, I was going to say 3 too, same rationale as anthony.green.  Then I saw Grant Fritchey was the author, and I've read enough of his recent posts to know exactly what he was intending 🙂

• NBSteve wrote:

Ha, I was going to say 3 too, same rationale as anthony.green.  Then I saw Grant Fritchey was the author, and I've read enough of his recent posts to know exactly what he was intending 🙂

ditto... of course I was just glad that I didn't have to mentally parse 2 pages of code today just to figure out what the question was asking.  😉

• Very interesting question, thanks Grant

• Tricky one. If it were not Grant who asked the question I would go for three (estimated, actual and live - as in SSMS), but I've seen him talking about just one execution plan - estimated, so I got this one right.

• Tricky! I guessed 3, estimated, actual and live

/Håkan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply