Execution Plan Types

• Grant Fritchey

SSC Guru

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Execution Plan Types

----------------------------------------------------
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
    Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
    Author of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd Edition
    Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey

SSC Guru

Shocklingly enough, I got this one right.

Yeah, I know, I know. But I'm helping to keep an eye on the site with Steve on sabbatical. Part of this means I'm answering (or not answering as the case may be) all the Question of the Day. Then I comment on my answers (or lack thereof), ta-da, instant monitoring.

Honestly, I expect one or two objections to this one (the question, not my answer).

----------------------------------------------------
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
    Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
    Author of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd Edition
    Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• WILLIAM MITCHELL

SSChampion

Your article https://www.scarydba.com/2009/02/25/three-kinds-of-execution-plans/ states

" You read that correctly, three kinds of execution plans. "

??

• anthony.green

SSC Guru

I too did 3, I was expecting XML, Graphical and Text as the answer

• Dmitriy Bonin

Valued Member

I expected to see the option with number 2 for serial and parallel plan types. Could be that I just misunderstood the question.

• George Vobr

SSCrazy Eights

Scary but interesting question, thanks Grant. At first I thought that all possible answers could be considered correct. After a moment of despair, I found a hint for the right solution in this useful book.

• NBSteve

Hall of Fame

Ha, I was going to say 3 too, same rationale as anthony.green.ย  Then I saw Grant Fritchey was the author, and I've read enough of his recent posts to know exactly what he was intending ๐Ÿ™‚

• Chris Harshman

SSC-Forever

NBSteve wrote:

Ha, I was going to say 3 too, same rationale as anthony.green.ย  Then I saw Grant Fritchey was the author, and I've read enough of his recent posts to know exactly what he was intending ๐Ÿ™‚

ditto... of course I was just glad that I didn't have to mentally parse 2 pages of code today just to figure out what the question was asking.ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell

SSC Guru

Very interesting question, thanks Grant

• BartekR

SSC Veteran

Tricky one. If it were not Grant who asked the question I would go for three (estimated, actual and live - as in SSMS), but I've seen him talking about just one execution plan - estimated, so I got this one right.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply