Executing multiple .sql file using execute sql task

• Hi All,

I have to execute multiple Sql Files. To do this, I created a FOR EACH loop container to get file names from a folder and then passed them in a variable to an Execute SQL Task....I am getting an error

Executing the query "D:\WFX_BASE_DB_5.1.1\Stored Procedures\XspAutoCloseOrder.sql" failed with the following error: "Incorrect syntax near 'D:'.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

[\code]

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• Um.... I don't know much about IIS, but I'm pretty sure that you're going to have to make a trip to OSQL via a command shell call.

The best thing to do would be to turn all those loose scripts into stored procedures and then use your execute SQL task thingy.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (12/22/2008)

Um.... I don't know much about IIS, but I'm pretty sure that you're going to have to make a trip to OSQL via a command shell call.

The best thing to do would be to turn all those loose scripts into stored procedures and then use your execute SQL task thingy.

Those scripts are stored procedures to deployed on client server. Currently I am using a for loop in dos prompt to iterate thru a folder and execute all sql files...but It doesn't executes the scripts in the order they are kept in folder...though the need is to execute them in order ....

Regards,

• Maybe you could create a single file containing all the SQL first:

If Exist All_Files.sql Del All_Files.sql

Copy *.sql All_Files.sql /y

and then just execute All_Files.sql to save iterating round - not sure about the order in which the files will be appended though.

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Ahmad Osama (12/22/2008)

Jeff Moden (12/22/2008)

Um.... I don't know much about IIS, but I'm pretty sure that you're going to have to make a trip to OSQL via a command shell call.

Those scripts are stored procedures to deployed on client server. Currently I am using a for loop in dos prompt to iterate thru a folder and execute all sql files...but It doesn't executes the scripts in the order they are kept in folder...though the need is to execute them in order ....

And, what order might that be? Order by name, date, extension, 8.3 name, or ???

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• And, what order might that be? Order by name, date, extension, 8.3 name, or ???

haha, I was wondering the same and was hoping to draw out the answer gently, whereas you went straight for the throat 🙂

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Jeff Moden (12/23/2008)

Ahmad Osama (12/22/2008)

Jeff Moden (12/22/2008)

order by date....

Regards,

• Can you post the DOS command you're using... might be able to tweek it for ya.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Phil Parkin (12/23/2008)

haha, I was wondering the same and was hoping to draw out the answer gently, whereas you went straight for the throat 🙂

BWAA-HAAA! It's because I don't have time to "monkey" around. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply