Executing a stored procedure issue

• I have a stored procedure that drops constraints (supposed to, anyway) truncates the table and re-populates it from production to a staging server. This bit of code will NOT work when executing the stored procedure but will run via query as a stand-alone bit of code. The database is on a SQL2005, sp3 server but is running in 2000 mode. I am logged in as sa so all rights should be fine.

This will run outside the proc but not withing. When I attempt to truncate the table, it tells me the foreign key constaint exists. I don't get it.

if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[FK_GLU_GOVERNMENT_SERVICES_PROVIDER_GLU_PROVIDER]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsForeignKey') = 1)

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[GLU_GOVERNMENT_SERVICES_PROVIDER] DROP CONSTRAINT FK_GLU_GOVERNMENT_SERVICES_PROVIDER_GLU_PROVIDER

Anyone with any thoughts on this? The longer I stare at it, the more frustrated I get because it seems like it should be so easy. TIA.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• No errors coming back? Could it be security context somehow?

• could it be possible that ANOTHER foreign key, a duplicate the specific FK you are looking for, but with a different, dyamically create name exists?

it's possible, unfortunately, to have duplicate foreign keys.

check the table [dbo].[GLU_GOVERNMENT_SERVICES_PROVIDER] for more than one, maybe?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• here's a proc i have laying around for that situation with dyn named FK's: drops all the FK's on a specific column in a table

usage is simply EXEC DROP_FK_FROM_SPECIFIC_COLUMN TableName,ColumnName

if exists(select * from sysobjects where name = 'DROP_FK_FROM_SPECIFIC_COLUMN')

drop procedure DROP_FK_FROM_SPECIFIC_COLUMN

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE DROP_FK_FROM_SPECIFIC_COLUMN

@TableName varchar(30),

@ColumnName varchar(30)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @Constraint_to_Delete varchar(100)

DECLARE Constraint_Cursor CURSOR FOR

SELECT name AS ConstraintName FROM dbo.sysobjects

WHERE OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsForeignKey') = 1

and id in

(SELECT constid FROM sysforeignkeys

INNER JOIN syscolumns ON sysforeignkeys.fkeyid = syscolumns.id

WHERE fkeyid IN (SELECT id FROM sysobjects

WHERE name = @Tablename AND OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsUserTable') = 1)

AND syscolumns.name = @ColumnName and fkey =colid)

OPEN Constraint_Cursor

FETCH NEXT FROM Constraint_Cursor INTO @Constraint_to_Delete

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

PRINT 'ALTER TABLE ' + @TableName + ' DROP CONSTRAINT '+@Constraint_to_Delete

EXEC ( 'ALTER TABLE ' + @TableName + ' DROP CONSTRAINT '+@Constraint_to_Delete )

FETCH NEXT FROM Constraint_Cursor INTO @Constraint_to_delete

END

CLOSE Constraint_Cursor

DEALLOCATE Constraint_Cursor

END

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/10/2010)

No errors coming back? Could it be security context somehow?

That's what I'm thinking but I don't see it. The tables and stored proc are owned by dbo, bot the apps DB and the data DB are owned by sa. I'm logged in as sa. If I simply do the select in query, it's there. If I excute the two lines of code within query, it does what I expect it to do.

• Nice code Lowell, thanks. It shows my foreign keys, with the name as to what should be being dropped. Still think it's security because I can execute it in query, just not during the stoed procedure execution. Thanks to both you and Steve. I'll keep looking!!

• This may sound stupid, and I'm starting to reach a bit here, but is it possibly because there isn't a go after the command, such as:

if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[FK_GLU_GOVERNMENT_SERVICES_PROVIDER_GLU_PROVIDER]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsForeignKey') = 1)

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[GLU_GOVERNMENT_SERVICES_PROVIDER] DROP CONSTRAINT FK_GLU_GOVERNMENT_SERVICES_PROVIDER_GLU_PROVIDER

GO

if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[FK_GLU_SHOPPING_PROVIDER_GLU_PROVIDER]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsForeignKey') = 1)

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[GLU_SHOPPING_PROVIDER] DROP CONSTRAINT FK_GLU_SHOPPING_PROVIDER_GLU_PROVIDER

GO

• if the stored proc is doing ALTER TABLE and then anything else, i think you have to switch to dynamic sql for the ALTER commands.....that fixes the GO statement, since a stored proc cannot have GO statements inside of it.

Lowell

• Thats kind of what just hit me. It's worth a shot. Thanks.

• :blush: It was the "Go". What a dope - I couldn't see the forest for the trees!!! I should've walked away, cleared my head and figured it out much sooner instead of assuming security issues. It worked from query but not within the stored proc so I thought, no, it can't be the lousy code..... :blush:

Edit - I guess I was the one that needed advice!!

• tosscrosby (6/11/2010)

:blush: It was the "Go". What a dope - I couldn't see the forest for the trees!!! I should've walked away, cleared my head and figured it out much sooner instead of assuming security issues. It worked from query but not within the stored proc so I thought, no, it can't be the lousy code..... :blush:

Edit - I guess I was the one that needed advice!!

Heh... "GO figure". 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply