Excel vs. Access vs. SQL Server

• Hello:

I don't know that this is an Access question per se, but hopefully this is a good place for it! I'm currently drawing up database policies and standards for my organization (none currently exist) and I'd like to include a platform standards document that specifies which DBMSs our IT department will support. We know that there'll be some exceptions, but we'd generally like to try and get people to stick with Excel, Access and SQL Server.

What I'm having trouble with is trying to explain in the document for what purposes and situations each program is most appropriate. Obviously each database will have to be evaluated and we'll choose a platform based on its volume and usage, but I'd like to have this document cover us so that when we tell a department that their Excel database would really be better in Access, we'll have documented reasons to back us up. For example, in the Excel section, I'd like to specify that Excel is most appropriate for flat, single-table databases with less than 65,000 records or for numerical calculations, etc.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has a document like this in their organization and if so, how they delineate the appropriateness of each DBMS over the others. I know there are no hard and fast rules, but some general guidelines would be very helpful!

Thanks!

• I'd have to say a lot of that depends on two things...

1. How important is the data? In other words, do you actually want the data to be backed up an recoverable? Does it need to be point in time recoverable?

2. Who has Access to what? No good making rules if they can't have access to SQL Server. And, no, I'm not suggesting for a minute that ad-hoc users be given privs to read or write on the production server. There should be a reporting server that get's replicated or updated on a regular basis that also includes a "sandbox" where users can write ad-hoc queries.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff has asked some valid questions. Every software has its own merits and demerits. All the three are powerful softwares. I like Excel for its functions, graphs and formulaes. SQL Server is much better than Access in terms of security and data management.

We would like to know for what purpose you are storing data and what will be the volume of transaction.

🙂

• See, this is where it gets complicated. 🙂 My organization is quite a large one (we have more than 80 databases...that we know of) and our needs vary considerably from department to department and database to database. A database may be as simple as an employee emergency contact list or Christmas card mailing list, or as complex as a database of results of scientific research performed by the organization over the last century (we actually have quite a few of these in different departments). This also means that we have widely varying degrees of access and backup needs...the scientific data is irreplaceable and must be backed up to the greatest degree possible, but other databases are less vital.

This is why I only want to sketch out vague parameters as far as DBMS standards go. Our plan is to individually evaluate each database and decide on a course of action accordingly, but if I encounter resistance to changing a database's DBMS (and I'm sure I will), I'd like to be able to point to this document and say, "Here's why we're doing this, and it's been documented and approved by the board." I'm trying to get this documentation together because many of our current databases exist in outdated and unstable DBMSs (Paradox, for example) and I need to be able to explain why it's so important to move to a better system.

I know that doesn't totally answer your questions, but hopefully it clarifies things a bit. I'm learning more and more that there's nothing simple about this process. :rolleyes:

• You are quite right about there being nothing simple about that process.

I'd say one of the better resources you could have would be to take a look at the MS marketing documentation. At the very least you may be able to pick up some verbiage from those documents that you could quote or paraphrase to support your argument.

Additionally, If you are looking to try to push people from paradox to SQL server, look for valid business reasons and ways that you'll be able to provide better uptime, security, data recovery, in short how it will help the users do their jobs better, faster, easier. I've always found that to be the best approach when dealing with opponents to change. If you tell them do it this way because this document says so you'll find MUCH more resistance than if you can show how this can benefit the users. It's all about "What's in it for me?" Being able to answer that question (preferably before it's asked) will pay large dividends in helping to accomplish your goals.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (5/5/2008)

Additionally, If you are looking to try to push people from paradox to SQL server, look for valid business reasons and ways that you'll be able to provide better uptime, security, data recovery, in short how it will help the users do their jobs better, faster, easier. I've always found that to be the best approach when dealing with opponents to change. If you tell them do it this way because this document says so you'll find MUCH more resistance than if you can show how this can benefit the users. It's all about "What's in it for me?" Being able to answer that question (preferably before it's asked) will pay large dividends in helping to accomplish your goals.

-Luke.

Don't forget to think dollars (pounds, yen, whatever) - if you can show management that not only will you improve the process, but save x% of each user's time, you can translate that into salary figures that will help the argument. Probably hardware savings too, if you get everyone on the same platform, but not my strong suit there.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Might be worth considering the value of the data being held on different platforms...

e.g. Business critical data to be in SQL Server, especialliy if it needs to integrate with different systems

Excel maybe recommend as a desktop tool for users to perform ad hoc analysis and produce charts and graphs, small data sets could be held in Excel if the data is standalone, business data could be refreshed from SQL Server as required for users to work with.

Access for power users who want to do more than Excel, eg related tables. Again, could link to SQL Server for business data?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply