Evaluating Amazon RDS Instance

• Hi,

Usually I used third party tools, like the Brent Ozar Script, that could help me to have an idea of how an SQL Server instance is working and what positive and negative things it has, but in an Amazon RDS instance, looks like a little bit different.

Friends what do you think about or How do you make an assessment using Amazon RDS.

Thanks a lot for your ideas

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• A lot of the same things are used, but you don't have the same access in the master / msdb databases, so those items are evaluated differently. Is there something you are looking at? All of the code in Brent's scripts is open, so you can change this to avoid using master if you want, or delete those items.

• IIRC, you have no control over backups and, if you want a single database to be restored, you have to request that the whole instance be restored.

Unless you want almost everything having to do with the system itself to done for you and you don't mind the occasional "outage" for "them" to do the work for you, I wouldn't recommend RDS at all.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply