Ethical Hacking Tutorial

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Ethical Hacking Tutorial

• :]

To conclude, it can be aptly said that ethnic hacking can be considered one of the well-paid career options for IT aspirants.

• I think the author is confusing the words 'hacker' and 'cracker'.  https://www.catb.org/jargon/html/meaning-of-hack.html

Oh well.  It's an easy mistake for a non-techie journalist to make.

What a 'hack' actually is:   https://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/hack.html

• A quick word of advice; regardless of good intentions, never ever "explore" anyone else's systems without the owner's consent and preferably a GOOJL, Get Out Of Jail Letter, signed by the owner/board/CEO 😉

😎

I've been doing work in this space for more than 30 years and know many stories of ethical hackers/crackers getting a knock on the door in the middle of the night, only to find men in black standing outside....

• Sound, sound advice.   We attempt to crack both our own systems (annual security checks) and occasionally clients as part of implementation testing . . . and we always ensure everyone is in the loop and everything is fully documented beforehand.

• Heh... there's definitely a need for the art.  Here are some folks that prove that...

https://samcurry.net/web-hackers-vs-the-auto-industry/

Spooky stuff.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Heh... there's definitely a need for the art.  Here are some folks that prove that...

https://samcurry.net/web-hackers-vs-the-auto-industry/

Spooky stuff.

Absolutely, little do we know!

😎

• The term 'Hacker", derived from 'Hack', began at MIT in the 1950's. These students were fascinated how a change in one part of an electrical system affected another. It wasn't long before they found computers. But at the time the definition was -- a hacker was a person taking pleasure in a project with no discernable utility beyond the pleasure taken in its execution.

As for the links provided for the definition, my browser warned me it was an unsafe site and did not proceed.

----------------------------------------------------

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• A question to everyone, how many times have you connected to a "known name wifi hotspot" such as Starbucks etc.?

😎

FYI: it takes less than a minute to spoof such a hotspot and target any individuals and/or devices of preference, not going to detail anything here, but please read up on MITM!

The examples on the page link that Jeff posted are examples of the mindset that if you cannot see it, it must be safe 🙁 Whilst I cannot read your mind, I can tap into all your wireless communication, including WIFI (online banking), NFC (phone payments) and few more you may or may not know of.

Be vigilant and careful!

• Sorry your browser warned you that CATB was an unsafe site . . . anyway, here's what it said: . . .

hack[very common]

1. n. Originally, a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well.

2. n. An incredibly good, and perhaps very time-consuming, piece of work that produces exactly what is needed.

3. vt. To bear emotionally or physically. “I can't hack this heat!”

4. vt. To work on something (typically a program). In an immediate sense: “What are you doing?” “I'm hacking TECO.” In a general (time-extended) sense: “What do you do around here?” “I hack TECO.” More generally, “I hack foo” is roughly equivalent to “foo is my major interest (or project)”. “I hack solid-state physics.” See Hacking X for Y.

5. vt. To pull a prank on. See sense 2 and hacker (sense 5).

6. vi. To interact with a computer in a playful and exploratory rather than goal-directed way. “Whatcha up to?” “Oh, just hacking.”

7. n. Short for hacker.

8. See nethack.

9. [MIT] v. To explore the basements, roof ledges, and steam tunnels of a large, institutional building, to the dismay of Physical Plant workers and (since this is usually performed at educational institutions) the Campus Police. This activity has been found to be eerily similar to playing adventure games such as Dungeons and Dragons and Zork. See also vadding.

Constructions on this term abound. They include happy hacking (a farewell), how's hacking? (a friendly greeting among hackers) and hack, hack (a fairly content-free but friendly comment, often used as a temporary farewell). For more on this totipotent term see The Meaning of Hack. See also neat hack, real hack.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply