Error: Unable to connect to the remote server

• Buddies,

We just moved to SSRS 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2. We are getting strange issues when ever we use SSRS in this environment. Recently I've got an issue when I run a report:[p]

Unable to connect to the remote server

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)

at Aderant.Novient.ReportEngine.Impl.ReportExecution2005.ReportExecutionService.LoadReport(String Report, String HistoryID)

at Aderant.Novient.ReportEngine.Impl.Client.ReportClientMSSqlServerRS.RenderReport(IUser user)

at Aderant.Novient.ReportEngine.App.ReportMain.RunReport(IReportInstance reportInstance)

at Aderant.Novient.ReportEngine.App.ReportMain.RunReport()

at Aderant.Novient.ReportEngine.App.ReportMain..ctor(String[] args)

[/p][p]The same report worked well in Window Server 2003/2008 and SQL Server 2005/2008[/p][p]I have searched google and tried few ways to resolve this issue, but no use.[/p][p]Does anybody knows how to resolve this issue? Please suggest.. [/p][p]Thanks[/p]

KSB
    -----------------------------
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Knowledge and happiness never decreases by being shared.” - Buddha

• Are there any errors on the remote server? Windows Log, SQL Log, etc?

• [P]Thanks for replying Grahamc.[/P][P]I don't find any errors in the Event Viewer of Windows Log, and even Report Server Log. All the events are executed successfully executed in the Event Viewer.[/P][P]Here is the Report Server Log:[/P]

appdomainmanager!DefaultDomain!dcc!02/25/2011-02:53:50:: i INFO: Appdomain:10 ReportServer_MSSQLSERVER_0-2-129431048300012435 started.

appdomainmanager!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:53:51:: i INFO: RS authentication mode is 5; effective ASP.NET authentication mode is Windows. vdir=/ReportServer.

appdomainmanager!DefaultDomain!dcc!02/25/2011-02:53:52:: i INFO: Appdomain:10 ReportServer_MSSQLSERVER_0-2-129431048300012435 initialized (#2).

webserver!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:22:: i INFO: Reporting Web Server started

resourceutilities!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:22:: i INFO: Reporting Services starting SKU: Standard

resourceutilities!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:22:: i INFO: Maximum memory limit is 65536Mb

library!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:26:: Call to GetItemTypeAction(/TNinaptReports/ValidLicenseAnalysis).

library!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:27:: i INFO: Catalog SQL Server Edition = Standard

crypto!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:27:: i INFO: Initializing crypto as user: AUSINPKBL01\Administrator

crypto!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:27:: i INFO: Exporting public key

crypto!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:27:: i INFO: Performing sku validation

crypto!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:27:: i INFO: Importing existing encryption key

library!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:54:27:: Call to GetReportParametersAction(/TNinaptReports/ValidLicenseAnalysis).

library!WindowsService_6!5c0!02/25/2011-02:56:49:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch()

library!WindowsService_6!5c0!02/25/2011-02:56:49:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs, 0 persisted streams, 0 segments, 0 segment mappings, 0 edit sessions.

library!WindowsService_6!5c0!02/25/2011-02:56:49:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch() ends

KSB
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Knowledge and happiness never decreases by being shared.” - Buddha

• Is all your security configured the same? same users/service accounts etc?

Are there any failed logins on your SQL box?

Can you create an odbc connection from your rs box to SQL? (test you can talk and there are no firewalls in the way).

Carlton.

• [p]I'm using Administrator account to run the reports.[/p][p]Even I'm able to access the report server URL: http://AUSINPKBL01:81/ReportServer/ReportService2010.asmx properly.[/p]

KSB

• Do all reports fail or just one? check the datasource the report is using.

Carlton.

• [p]All the reports are failing.[/p][p]I'm getting the following error when running the reports directly using datasource:

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

Cannot create a connection to data source 'TNHost'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

Cannot open database "cxmain" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'TNHost'.

[/p]

KSB

• Kari Suresh (2/25/2011)

[p]All the reports are failing.[/p][p]I'm getting the following error when running the reports directly using datasource:

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

Cannot create a connection to data source 'TNHost'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

Cannot open database "cxmain" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'TNHost'.

[/p]

And therein lies the problem: failed login for TNHost on the cxmain database.

Carlton.

• [P]Thanks for your reply Carlton.[/P][P]But I don't find any resolution to solve this error 'rsErrorOpeningConnection' in the combination of Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2.[/P]

KSB

• Failed login for TNHost on the cxmain database. That's the error.

Either grant access to the cxmain database for the TNHost login. Or change your datasource to connect using another account (that has access) to the cxmain database.

Carlton.

• appdomainmanager!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:53:51:: i INFO: RS authentication mode is 5; effective ASP.NET authentication mode is Windows. vdir=/ReportServer.

I think the above is the reason for your error, it appears you are running SSRS in IIS when in IIS the Asp.net runtime needs permissions in the datasource database at least. If it is double hop then you may also need to add that account in the ReportServerDB and ReportServerTempDB.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Its quite possible that your datasource is setup to impersonate the calling user - local admin. Which would (and should) not have permissions on the DB.

In the SQL Server error log is there any login errors/failures?

• grahamc (2/25/2011)

Its quite possible that your datasource is setup to impersonate the calling user - local admin. Which would (and should) not have permissions on the DB.

The error is not related to datasource permissions but IIS required permissions, when an application is running it IIS it checks for the Asp.net runtime permissions in SQL Server and the connection database and fails the execution if it is not resolved.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (2/25/2011)

grahamc (2/25/2011)

Its quite possible that your datasource is setup to impersonate the calling user - local admin. Which would (and should) not have permissions on the DB.

The error is not related to datasource permissions but IIS required permissions, when an application is running it IIS it checks for the Asp.net runtime permissions in SQL Server and the connection database and fails the execution if it is not resolved.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Reporting Services 2008 doesn't require IIS...

Carlton.

• appdomainmanager!ReportServer_0-2!dcc!02/25/2011-02:53:51:: i INFO: RS authentication mode is 5; effective ASP.NET authentication mode is Windows. vdir=/ReportServer.

The above stack trace says SSRS is running in IIS because in 2008 and up if you want to use the response object and other http based functions you can run SSRS in IIS like 2005 including Sharepoint mode. So the file system deployment is an added option.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply