error trying to create another log file

• For some reason I'm unable to create another log file. Ideas?

ALTER DATABASE [DBNAME] ADD LOG FILE ( NAME = N'DBNAME_log_2', FILENAME = N'G:\MSSQL10\DBNAME_log_2.ldf' , SIZE = 65536000KB, MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED , FILEGROWTH = 65536KB )

Msg 5009, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

One or more files listed in the statement could not be found or could not be initialized.

Query was cancelled by user.

• Do you actually have 65GB remaining on the drive to create the file?  And, I've got to ask, are you sure the path is correct?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• lol. thanks. I think I'm going to get some coffee.

• I don't think it'd a good idea to have more than one log file for a database:

https://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/multiple-log-files-and-why-theyre-bad/

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

I don't think it'd a good idea to have more than one log file for a database:

there's one exception - your log file grows stupidly big and you run out of disk space and need to complete the transaction (because of business requirements) - I've often found myself putting a cheeky extra log file on another drive when I know we have something big coming in

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

there's one exception - your log file grows stupidly big and you run out of disk space and need to complete the transaction (because of business requirements) - I've often found myself putting a cheeky extra log file on another drive when I know we have something big coming in

Yes, if you're out of space you need might need to create one on a different disk. I think some people incorrectly think adding log files will increase performance in the same way as adding additional data files to a database does.

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

Yes, if you're out of space you need might need to create one on a different disk. I think some people incorrectly think adding log files will increase performance in the same way as adding additional data files to a database does.

problem is we often forget to remove the log file, as per one of steve's editorials, I've started leaving sticky notes on my monitor to clear it down (netops get grumpy about disk usage) - we've recently started using stretch and my postit  note says "Monday - reclaim space on Q: "

MVDBA

• Do you actually have 65GB remaining on the drive to create the file? And, I've got to ask, are you sure the path is correct?

And even if Snargables has 65 GB, it takes some time to zero out that much space. The line "Query was cancelled by the user", indicates that Snargables pressed the red button. The error message may come as a result of that the operation was cancelled.

Whatever, coffee could help.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply