Error: 7886, Severity: 20, State: 1.

• Hi all,

Last night my SQL box (2005 Std) reported the following error, this occured at just after 18:00

"Message

A read operation on a large object failed while sending data to the client. A common cause for this is if the application is running in READ UNCOMMITTED isolation level. This connection will be terminated."

Then at 19:00, my hourly transaction logs backups ran (for 7 seconds), then the SQL box became unresponsive and required a restart at around 19:15.

I cant find any indication as to why it became unresponsive (sql logs, event viewer) and judging by the fact that it occured so long after the error message that would indicate that the two are unreleated.

I was wondering if anyone had come across this error before and if so, had it caused any performance issue which could cause the box to become unresponsive.

Thanks,

Jackal

• Anything in the SQL error log?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail,

Thanks for the response, the SQL logs show the error occuring at 6.01pm, then transaction log backups at 7.00pm and then the actions involved with restarting SQL. Other than that nothing of any use what so ever.

Thanks,

Jackal

• Jackal (1/12/2009)

Thanks for the response, the SQL logs show the error occuring at 6.01pm

Can you post the full message that was in the log?

Anything in the windows event logs?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I had the same error, but didn't know the reason, it appeared three or four times and then disappeared completly, if someone has analysis for this event please confirm us

• If you cannot fine any reasonable / related message in sqlservers errorlog,

I would suggest to at least run DBCC CheckDB (for the db if you know it, if you don't for all dbs)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• It's certainly a strange one.

I cant find anything in either the SQL logs or the Windows logs. I'll shortly be posting the logs up so hopefully someone maybe able to spot something.

• check this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323630

• check if you are using large objects,LOB and try to reduce the level of locking checking for indexes,denormalize the table.

• The table that I beleive is causing this issue has a TEXT column in it.

It's a bit of an open ended question but what exactly is happening when this error is occuring, is it just a case of SQL not being be able to confirm the integrity of the data and then killing the connection for data integrity purposes?

• Could you also post your version number of SQL2005 ?

Select @@version

-- or

Select Serverproperty( 'ProductVersion' ) as ProductVersion

, Serverproperty( 'ProductLevel' ) as ProductLevel

, Serverproperty( 'ResourceLastUpdateDateTime' ) as ResourceLastUpdateDateTime

, Serverproperty( 'ResourceVersion' ) as ResourceVersion

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Sorry, should of done that in the original post.

The version number is 9.00.3042.00 (SP2) - none of the cumlitive updates have been applied to this.

• did you find out what was causing the error?

• Ignacio A. Salom Rangel (10/22/2009)

did you find out what was causing the error?

Hi,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I dont know how much help I can be on this one, basically I tracked it down to be related to a TEXT column on one of the older tables that had several million records.

We dont have the issue any longer and beleive this to be down to 3 things;

1. We moved to SP3 (always a good thing - circumstances permitting)

2. We reduced the amount of data in the table via archiving to ease the load up a bit.

3. We re-evalulated and made changes to our procedures which are using the column, the goal is for us to eventually remove the columnn and replace it with a better solution, but thats a while off.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore help then let me know.

• Thank you for answering. I got the error only once. I was not able to find what was causing the error. I check all the databases on that server, but everything was fine. I don't know what else to do, any tips are welcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply