ER Diagramming Tool

• This is probably the wrong forum to ask this.....but since this is the place I most visit....here goes:

I religiously followed the ER diagramming pratices set out in my textbook when I was in college (some of you may recognize it: Database Management Systems by Raghu Ramakrishnan).

Anyway, I know that there are many different conventions followed in "the industry", but I need an diagramming tool that helps me create an ER diagram using standard conventions (any one). I have MS Visio right now- the problem is that it does not separate logical and physical schemas. If I need to directly jump into creating tables, I might as well use Enterprise Manager.

I've heard about ERwin- but I don't know much about it.

Can anyone educate me about the choices out there, your experiences (good or bad) with any such tool and recommend one that I can evaluate (download 😉 ).

All help appreciated beforehand.... 🙂

• The version of Visio included in Enterprise Architect .NET Studio can reverse-engineer from tables to ER and vice versa. A bit costly, but not when compared to ERWin, which I belive is now called CA AllFusion Modeler. I think...

Edited by - jpipes on 05/22/2003 2:46:42 PM

• You can try the Sybase PowerDesigner 7.5 or 8 to do your ER diagram, and it will seperate the phisical Model from the conceptual model as wanted

tung

Luani

Luani

• Have you looked at the layering capabilities of Visio. It allows you to have multiple layers to a drawing. This way you can separate your physical and logical views, choose which layers are visible and even set a transparency level and color code each layer.

Hope this helps,

Richard

• I used Popkin's System Architect in college. It will help with ERDs, DFDs, context diagrams etc. They have a free trial download. not usre how costly the full blown product is.

HTH

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply