Enterprise Manager not allowed to poll.

• We just migrated to a new server running Windows 2003 Server and now my desktop Enterprise Manager is not able to poll the three SQL Server 2000 instantiations we maintain on it.

So far I have observed three annoying results:

1. Not being able to see the server activity indicator (the green arrow).

2. Having to step through this warning to open a connection: "The SQL Server \\servername is not known to be running. Are you sure you wish to connect?"

3. Not being able to see the SQL Server Agent activity indicator.

It makes no difference whether it's registered using SQL or Windows authentication. I have used 'sa' as well as my own login with system administrator privileges.

Any ideas?

• Wierd.

Just for giggles check the poll setting.

go to enterprise manager,

go to tools -->Options

is the poll box checked.

Other than that I don't know what the issue could be unless the network guys have you on a different subnet, and without a direct tunnel em cannot check.

• Are you sure the network guys haven't been playing the security configuration tool in Windows 2003 sp 1 and haven't just blocked the port used to do the monitoring with the firewall?

Cause that's what our lot did to me.

hth

David

• Ray: The poll setting is just fine. It still works with other sql instantiations living on other windows servers in the network, just not the new one; so it's not that.

David: I'll poke around in the SCW. It may be that the default setting is too restrictive.

Thanks!

• You need to have permissions to start/stop the SQL services.  This can be done using a local security template or via a GPO.  Check with your infrastructure/security people to find their preferred approach.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Not so on the permissions thing. I have a number of SQL Servers registered under a normal domain user account - which cannot start/stop the SQL Services (I use a separate domain admins account for administration - a site standard) and can see the activity (the greeen triangle in the white circle) under all of my SQL Servers. It's just that someimtes it takes a bit of time. I do occassionally get that 'annoying message' you have in #2, but usually on clusters only.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply