Enjoying a Down Weekend

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Enjoying a Down Weekend

• I watched the good, the bad and the ugly again on netflix... Somehow it had a 3 star rating.... unbelievable. That's a 5 star film.
    I like Clint behind the camera just as much. If you haven't seen American Sniper that's a really good film. The distance of the sniper from the target doesn't distance the effect on the sniper and on his family life. The moral struggle between taking life and saving life and the impact on the sniper and his family and the families of the soldiers saved by the sniper and clearly the damage to the people at the other end of the scope. It's good because I don't think it's preachy, it's morally ambiguous and it shows how difficult it is to take a moral path in extreme situations.
    If you like horror movies, I've seen a few good ones this year...
    I enjoyed "Ghost Stories" for it's sinister build up to an interesting twist, "Winchester" which was well shot and well acted and has an interesting real life back story relating to the Winchester rifle company.
    My off the wall pick is "The babysitter" which is a schlock teen horror, but nicely acted, nicely executed and I found it very entertaining.
    I also secretly enjoyed "Passengers" about the guy who wakes up 90 years early on a spaceship. Not a big Jennifer Lawrence fan, but Chris Pratt and Michael Sheen as the android bar man are excellent. Suspend your disbelief in some of the daft science and this is actually an interesting psychological space thriller.
    Hopefully this year Hollywood will stop pandering to the PC brigade and start making proper films again. Fingers crossed.

• allinadazework - Friday, February 1, 2019 2:10 AM

I watched the good, the bad and the ugly again on netflix... Somehow it had a 3 star rating.... unbelievable. That's a 5 star film.

WTF? Stone cold classic, not many films I could rewatch as much as that.

I've seen 5 on that list - and 2 featured the lovely Emily Blunt 🙂 :
    Bumble Bee - enjoyed a lot more than I expected, I know nothing about Transformers but thought this was a great Spielberger style story.
    Mary Poppins Returns - sugary and unoriginal maybe, but actually a lot of fun if you like that sort of thing. Only downside is my children now request the soundtrack at all times...
    Paddington 2 - a brilliant family film we all loved
    Herditary - genuinely creepy and horrible if a bit OTT at times
    A Quiet Place - original and suspenseful in the best way possible

• Dr Strangelove (it's black and white, and is kind of dark humour)

• I loved Passengers a 2016 film which I didn't get to watch until last year when it came out on Netflix

I particularly liked the fact that they had created machines that were so complete and complex that they could not be fixed by the passengers. Really used as an instrument to drive the plot. It seems more relevant everyday.

• I've seen about half of the movies you listed for 2018.

For 2019 my #1 anticipated film is Avengers: End Game. I'm also looking forward to Captain Marvel (of which I know nothing, as I didn't read the comic books) and Spidername: Far From Home.

Rod

• Redbox is our go to source for movies. We typically watch 1-2 a month. We both like romantic comedies and animal movies.

Taking our daughter to the latest Disney or other kid movie is something we do every couple of months as well.

412-977-3526 call/text

• The wife and I are movie nuts, but there's quite a few on that list from 2018 you linked that we didn't see...
    One movie from last year (barely) that was very entertaining and worth watching was Aquaman.  They managed to take a character that largely gets treated as joke by most people, and make him both believable and fun.  Momoa certainly seemed to be having a lot of fun playing the part, which helps a lot.
    As for movies this year, Alita: Battle Angel looks like, if nothing else, it's going to be a visual feast; definitely looking forward to the next three MCU movies (Captain Marvel / Infinity War: Endgame / SpiderMan: Far from Home); and oddly enough Shazam! looks like it's going to be fun (rather then going the dark and brooding route of a lot of the previous DC movies, it's almost going silly.)

Beyond that, there's another Godzilla later this year, which is looking impressive (it's a giant monster movie, we don't need no stinking plot!)

As for Black Panther, they're re-releasing it in theaters soon, because it got the Oscar nom, so you can go see it with the family on the big screen!

• call.copse - Friday, February 1, 2019 3:18 AM

Herditary - genuinely creepy and horrible if a bit OTT at times
    A Quiet Place - original and suspenseful in the best way possible

Thanks for the heads up on Hereditary and A Quiet Place, I'll definitely check them out.

• Some Netflix series I've enjoyed recently:
    - Ozark 
    - Babylon Berlin
    - Occupied
    - The Colony
    - You (Imagine the movie "You've Got Mail" meets the character "Dexter Morgan").

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I almost forgot my favorite Netflix series of all time: "Halt And Catch Fire".

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply