Encryption Key Restore issue

• I am having trouble recreating my production install of Reporting Services on a test server. I have SQL Server 2005 SP2 Standard Edition and SQL Reporting Services 2005 SP2 installed on both servers. They are both single server instalizations. After I restore the production ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases on the test server, I get the following error message in Report Manager. “The report server installation is not initialized. (rsReportServerNotActivated) (rsRPCError)”.

I then restored my encryption key from the production server in the Reporting Services Configuration GUI without error. I then get the following error in Report Manager, “The feature: “Scale-out deployment” is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services. (rsOperationNotSupported) (rsRPCError)”.

The only way I can get it to work is to then delete the encryption key. I then can see my directory structure and reports in Report Manager. The only issue at that point is that my Data Sources are available but without an information. I have to reenter the connection string and credentials. Is there a way to restore my databases without needing to reenter data source information?

• The reason your data sources don't contain their connection information any longer is because you deleted all the encrypted content. After you restore your encryption key you'll need to initialize the instance. I've had some issues with this in the past but you should be able to get it by trying the different options on the 'Initialization' tab of the RS Config Utility. Here are a couple articles that should help you:

Backing up and Restoring Encryption Keys

Initiallizing a Report Server

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ben Sullins
    bensullins.com
    Beer is my primary key...

• Thanks for your response. You mention that I should intialize after I restore my encryption key. At every step along the way (after restoring databases, after restoring encryption key), the Initialization tab on the RS Config Utility is greyed out. Also, after each step, the 'Server Status' tab is reporting Initialized Yes.

Why would the 'Initialization' tab be greyed out?

Could this have anything to do with RSReportServer.config file. The one on the test server is from the install and not from the production server.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply