Empty Dates into SQL

• There some questions here about the utilization of Empty dates into SQL.

I have one Table where one of the Fields is Type DateTime, this Field have a restriction of Not Null.

CREATE TABLE [TABLE_NAME] (

[FIELD_CHAR] [char] (5) NOT NULL ,

[FIELD_DATE] [datetime] NOT NULL ,

CONSTRAINT [PK_TABLE_NAME] PRIMARY KEY  CLUSTERED

(

[FIELD_CHAR]

&nbsp  ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

When I INSERT some data into this TABÑE from FOX PRO the Date Field in Fox Pro has a value called Empty, this data Updates SQL and the data is represented into SQL as:

1900-01-01 00:00:00.000

How I can avoid that? Without make nulleable the field 'FIELD_DATE'.

Maybe there is some data type callled Empty in SQL also?

Thanks

• No, there is no "Empty" value for a date in sql.

Null means not available, or not defined.

If you do not allow NULLS, then you must supply a date.

You can set up a default on the column for a specific date, or getdate().

but its my guess that when your populating the date from foxpro it is supplying the 01/01/1900 value.

• Yes, there is, they name it "NULL".

• As everyone else said....if you set the column for NOT NULL, then you must provide a datetime. If you don't provide a datetime, then the default is used. If you don't provide a default, then the 'built-in' datetime default is used and that is what you are seeing. 1900-01-01 00:00:00.000 is the built-in default.

-SQLBill

• if you pass zero to a date time field, it is a valid date. that date is 1900-01-01 00:00:00.000 of course, so i think your foxpro database has zeros for a number of your date fields you are playing with.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply