Efficient way of data comparison between tables

• <i>Hi All,</i>

I understood there is a table to table SQL Server Table & Data Comparision Tools, but this is for the table in same format & structure.

I finding, but unable find a Data Comparison Tools which is for different tables to compare the data.

If such a yes, any experience with this? I know writing a Script Good SQL is one of the way.

But any alternative?

• redgate sql compare would work fine for that.

• Quest/ApexSQL Data Diff also as a tool to do data comparison as well was Red-Gate Data Compare already mentioned

• Out of the box, by default, Redgate SQL Data Compare will find tables with the same name to compare, as you noted. However, you can map tables with completely different names in order to compare them. They can even have different column names. Here's the documentation on how to make it happen.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• LLSQL42 wrote:

<i>Hi All,</i>

I understood there is a table to table SQL Server Table & Data Comparision Tools, but this is for the table in same format & structure.

I finding, but unable find a Data Comparison Tools which is for different tables to compare the data.

If such a yes, any experience with this? I know writing a Script Good SQL is one of the way.

But any alternative?

As with most else in SQL Server, "It Depends".  In this case, it depends on what you want to do with the data that identifies the differences in data between the two tables.

Please tell us what your intent is in this area.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply