Editorial: An example of how networking netted a new job

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Editorial: An example of how networking netted a new job

• Well, I found my job by playing casual 5-a-side football. A couple of the players were at another (where I am now) tech company and asked if I'd be interested in a change. I'd say more than half my jobs have been word of mouth from friends or colleagues, and just a couple from headhunters / agencies.

• Back in 2011 when I first decided to start contracting, I applied for some permanent roles as well, just as a fail-safe, in case I didn't find something I would love doing in the contracting market.

I managed to get 2 permanent job offers along with a dream contract role. Needless to say, I accepted the contract role and declined the permanent jobs. However, 1 of the permanent jobs was in Financial sector, where I wanted to make a start, and felt that the role was quite interesting and challenging. Though I declined the job then, I made sure to keep in touch with the agent who put me forward; and the manager who interviewed me.

After a few years of contracting in the company I chose, when I started looking for another roles, I contacted that manager through Linkedin; and found that he was looking for a maternity cover in his team then. We met informally the following day; and within a week, I got an offer. Though it was for a short period of time, I had a great time working in his team and the company; and I am glad I had that opportunity. I am still in touch with them.

• I was also let go in April, but I'm still looking. I have been hesitant to talk to any recruiters so far, had a bad experience with one back in the late 90's. Networking doesn't come easy for me, but it looks like I need to step outside my comfort zone. Thanks for the article Ben.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 (7/1/2016)

...I need to step outside my comfort zone...

I don't think that some people realise just how difficult that some people find this. I find it difficult "tapping" my social network beyond a LinkedIn status update and posting a few known recruitment agents directly. It is not that I don't have confidence in my abilities just that I fear being rude. I suspect that I am not the only one.

Oddly enough, I would be quick to say to friends, family, colleagues (both current and previous) and anyone here that they should let me know if they are available. Quite simply, if I have something that may be appropriate and I don't think that recommending them for interview would reflect badly on me (there is always someone - for some people it may be me!!!) then I would certainly recommend them.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Ben, your experience at getting to your new position is both exciting and frustrating for me at the same time. I was unemployed for several months a recently. Reaching out to my professional network didn't do me any good at all. Every job I've ever held has always been in response to some want ad somewhere (newspaper, online, etc.). I've always heard you should work your professional network. When I was unemployed I worked it as hard as I could. Nothing.

I'm just saying that although your article is encouraging, I almost have to say its anecdotal rather than an example of a statistically verifiable fact.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I believe strongly in networking as the best means of getting jobs.

I've never put any real effort into networking, but my network found me new employers in 1996, again in 1999, and again in 2002. Before that my network found me new jobs at new locations with my existing employer (big enough company that there was effectively warfare between divisions) in 1976 (when I got fed up with being stuck in an ivory tower and let it be known) and again in 1986. I found jobs by replying to adverts in 1967 and in 1969 and in 1971. So over the years the network found me twice as many real jobs as other means did. My network has also offered me several jobs since the end of 2009, but none of them were interesting enough to persuade me to come out of retirement (but I'm still hoping someone will offer something really interesting and flexible enough for me to cope with an invalid and disabled wife at the same time as the job).

When I was recruiting software engineers I tried (not always sucessfully) to recruit people I knew and trusted, or people recommended by people I knew and trusted, because typical recruiters appeared to be totally untrustworthy and incapable of reading a CV and comparing it to my requirements - except in the 70s when we had proper personnel teams (not a "Human Resource Department" :sick:) who could read and understand both CVs and requirements.

Tom

• My whole career has a series of networks from one job to another.

• Iwas Bornready (7/5/2016)

My whole career has a series of networks from one job to another.

You and others are, from my point of view, very fortunate.

Rod

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply