EAV Model

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item EAV Model

• Good Question!

Never heard it referred to as open schema, but it make sense, mostly EAV or name-value pairs.

Mark

• I was pretty sure one of the options was going to be 'A phase' 🙂

• It's also known as a "Stuff" table. All the company's stuff is thrown into 1 table. It ensures that performance is dismal and is a great method to ensure that a contract data architect makes a big fee when you have to bring them in to redesign the entire system the right way.

• Learned something new today.

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better
  • What EAV should really be called is "unscalable".

While having a table or two in your application that are in EAV format should be fine the programmers who try to build an entire application using 1 to 4 EAV tables holding all the application tables are a riot.

I do not know how many times over the last decade I have seen threads where the OP finally laid out the design of their application after trying to get help on a query. For some reason the developer thought that their was the first shop to ever try this idea. The developers were usually not happy when presented with links to articles on why the design will usually not work in the real world.

I have never heard of Open Schema for this.

-- Mark D Powell --

• I was looking for "MUCK"[/url] to be an option.

"Open Schema" makes it sound like a legitimate approach to database design.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply