Easing Back to the Office

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Easing Back to the Office

• I've been working from home for 15 years for my current employer, prior to COVID.  So my life didn't change one bit during this entire episode.

But now my company is starting to talk about recalling EVERYONE back into the office.  New management has already rescinded all prior telecommuting agreements.

My team is geographically distributed and there isn't anybody that I actually work with who is within a thousand miles of me, so in our situation there's no possible argument to be made about "face to face collaboration".  I live out in the country, so going into the office (which is located on the opposite side of a major metropolis) would entail 2 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening sitting in traffic, and trading my 27 inch monitors (in my purpose-built home office) for a single 15 inch screen on a laptop while working shoulder to shoulder with strangers in a temporary "hotel space".  Instead of logging on within minutes of getting up in the morning and then getting tangible work done, I'd be arriving at the office just in time to log into the same Zoom meetings that I already attend.

At the end of the day, following a few hours of urban traffic, it's highly likely I'd then be asked to log back in after I get home to "finish my work".

I know several long-time employees here who have already made the decision to leave this employer if that plan comes to fruition.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply