Dynamically Build Table Data Type

• I am attempting to write a UDF that reads from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS and then based on a given TABLE_NAME, creates a new table datatype that mimics the structure of the aforementioned table.  my first guess was to implement a scalar UDF and return a single value of type table.

I declared my UDF as:

CREATE FUNCTION udf_clone_table

(@TableName sysname)

RETURNS table

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @TableClone table  

DECLARE @ORDINAL_POSITION int

DECLARE @COLUMN_NAME nvarchar(128)

DECLARE @DATA_TYPE nvarchar(128)

DECLARE @CHARACTER_MAXIMUM_LENGTH smallint

SET @ORDINAL_POSITION = (SELECT MIN(ORDINAL_POSITION) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS WHERE TABLE_NAME = @TableName)

WHILE @ORDINAL_POSITION IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

SELECT

@COLUMN_NAME = COLUMN_NAME,

@DATA_TYPE = DATA_TYPE,

@CHARACTER_MAXIMUM_LENGTH = CHARACTER_MAXIMUM_LENGTH

FROM

INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

WHERE

TABLE_NAME = @TableName AND

ORDINAL_POSITION = @ORDINAL_POSITION

IF @@ROWCOUNT > 0

BEGIN

DECLARE @stmt nvarchar(255)

-- do dynamic stuff here

END

-- goto next position

SET @ORDINAL_POSITION = (SELECT MIN(ORDINAL_POSITION) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS WHERE TABLE_NAME = @TableName AND ORDINAL_POSITION > @ORDINAL_POSITION)

END

RETURN @TableClone

END

Now, the syntax check doesn't like this.  First question is can I execute ALTER TABLE against a table data type?  Is there a better way to do this?

• Doing what you want isn't possible in a UDF.  UDF's don't allow execution of dynamic SQL.  The results set returned by the UDF must be declared when the UDF is created.  You're best bet is a stored procedure.  SPs can execute dynamic SQL and return a result set determined at run time.

For more on UDFs see my book Transact-SQL User-Deinfed Functions.

Regards,

Andy

http://www.NovickSoftware.com

• Why not just copy the table structure, without any data:

SELECT * INTO newtable FROM oldtable WHERE 1=2

Mike

• I don;t know really.  I need to create a temp table to hold data for paging.  I will skip x rows, move the next y rows into the table, and then return the contents of the temp table.  I was trying to keep from having to explicitly declare my table datatype with all the necessary columns.  I was hoping that I could create it programitically using schema metadata.

• The script below is part of a large batch script to create shadow tables (same field names and datatypes)

with additional fields.  Embed part of this or similar code into a sp.

Win

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

declare tab cursor fast_forward for SELECT o.name,c.name,c.colorder,c.xusertype,c.length

FROM sysobjects o, syscolumns c

where o.name like '<use a table filter>'

and o.xtype='U'

and o.id=c.id

order by o.name,c.colorder

open tab

fetch tab into @tabname,@fldname,@fldorder,@dtype,@fldlen

set @lcount=0

while @@fetch_status=0

begin

set @datatype=

case

when @dtype=48 then ' tinyint NULL,'

when @dtype=52 then ' smallint NULL,'

when @dtype=56 then ' int NULL,'

when @dtype=58 then ' smalldatetime NULL,'

when @dtype=61 then ' datetime NULL,'

when @dtype=62 then ' float NULL,'

when @dtype=106 and @fldlen=5 then ' decimal(7,4) NULL,'

when @dtype=106 and @fldlen=9 then ' decimal(10,4) NULL,'

when @dtype=167 then ' varchar(' + cast(@fldlen as varchar) + ') NULL,'

when @dtype=175 then ' char(' + cast(@fldlen as varchar) + ') NULL,'

else 'UNKNOWN' --this datatype will trip the execute statement

end

--print @datatype

set @lcount=@lcount+1

if(@fldorder=1)

begin

if(@lcount=1)

set @stmt='create table [dbo].NEW_' + @tabname + ' (' + char(13) + @fldname + @datatype +  char(13)

else

begin

set @stmt=@stmt + char(13) + '<append some extra fields/constraints to new table and close statement>'

--print @stmt

exec(@stmt)

set @stmt='create table [dbo].NEW_' + @tabname + ' (' + char(13) + @fldname + @datatype +  char(13)

end

end

else

set @stmt=@stmt + @fldname + @datatype +  char(13)

fetch tab into @tabname,@fldname,@fldorder,@dtype,@fldlen

end

set @stmt=@stmt + char(13) + '<append some extra fields/constraints to new table and close statement>'

--print @stmt

exec(@stmt)

close tab

deallocate tab

• That looks great, but am I correct in saying that it creates an actual new table.  I only need the table inside the sproc and then I'm done with it.  I'd like to avoid using a #temptable and make use of a table datatype.  looks like that isn't going to happen.

• Why don't you create the datatype table following the same principle and stick with the information_schema views which are more up-to-date than the old hack of using sys...tables.

Win

•  You can use temp tables to test your design if up-front re-coding looks like too much work.  Temp tables created inside a procedure are automatically destroyed when they go out of scope, ie the procedure is closed.

Win

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply