Dynamic SQL Truncating at 4K

• I am obviously missing something here because making this run as dynamic sql seems a layer of complexity that just isn't needed here. It sort of looks like a dynamic pivot but all the values are hard coded so the dynamic ability of the pivot isn't there. Either that or I need more coffee.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Same errors.

• The values are all hard-coded because that is the only way I can it to run for now. The point of the PIVOTS are to eventually replace the hard-coded values with the variable, which I can't get to work. I do have one line with the values replaced by the variable so it can be seen what I'm trying to do.

• measterbro (3/12/2015)

The values are all hard-coded because that is the only way I can it to run for now. The point of the PIVOTS are to eventually replace the hard-coded values with the variable, which I can't get to work. I do have one line with the values replaced by the variable so it can be seen what I'm trying to do.

Gotcha. You are trying to turn a static pivot into a dynamic pivot. I have a meeting shortly but I will touch base either later tonight or tomorrow and see if any progress has been made.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Exactly. Thank you.

• I'm sure your code can get many improvements. Could you post some sample data and DDL to be able to test?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Unfortunately I am not able to post data or DDL since it is proprietary. I just thought there might be a known problem with dynamic SQL and appending variables, such as needing to break up the SQL into smaller chunks.

• measterbro (3/12/2015)

Unfortunately I am not able to post data or DDL since it is proprietary. I just thought there might be a known problem with dynamic SQL and appending variables, such as needing to break up the SQL into smaller chunks.

No, but as has already been pointed out, the code is unnecessarily longwinded which won't help.

There are some significant code smells in the GamesWon CTE which warrant further investigation because resolution would reduce the size and complexity of the statement you are dealing with, perhaps as much as 6-fold – and improve performance by a similar factor.

There’s repeated use if two very similar subqueries as follows (note the use of table aliases):

SELECT d.Division_ID

FROM Divisions d

INNER JOIN Conferences c

ON d.Conference_ID = c.Conference_ID

INNER JOIN Leagues l

ON c.League_ID = l.League_ID

WHERE l.League_ID = @league

AND c.Conference_ID = @conf1

SELECT d.Division_ID

FROM Divisions d

INNER JOIN Conferences c

INNER JOIN Leagues l

AND c.Conference_ID = @conf2

The joins in these subqueries are different to those in the FROM clause:

FROM Games g

LEFT OUTER JOIN Conferences c

ON g.HConf = c.Conference_ID

LEFT OUTER JOIN Divisions d

ON g.ADiv = d.Division_ID

LEFT OUTER JOIN Leagues l

Are any columns from these left-joined tables referenced anywhere in the query?

What happens if you comment them out?

FROM Games g

--LEFT OUTER JOIN Conferences c

--ON g.HConf = c.Conference_ID

--LEFT OUTER JOIN Divisions d

--ON g.ADiv = d.Division_ID

--LEFT OUTER JOIN Leagues l

--ON c.League_ID = l.League_ID

I can’t see any reason why GamesWon should reference any of these tables more than once. Something like this:

SELECT

g.HomeTeam AS Team,

LeagueName, -- which table is this from?

ShortName, -- which table is this from?

Division_Name, -- which table is this from?

(g.NumYear / @TimePeriod * @TimePeriod) AS Season, --??

CASE WHEN [H_SC] > [A_SC] AND d.Conference_ID = @conf1 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS ALwins,

CASE WHEN [H_SC] < [A_SC] AND d.Conference_ID = @conf1 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS ALlosses,

CASE WHEN [H_SC] = [A_SC] AND d.Conference_ID = @conf1 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS ALties,

CASE WHEN [H_SC] > [A_SC] AND d.Conference_ID = @conf2 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS NLwins,

CASE WHEN [H_SC] < [A_SC] AND d.Conference_ID = @conf2 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS NLlosses,

CASE WHEN [H_SC] = [A_SC] AND d.Conference_ID = @conf2 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS NLties

FROM Games g

LEFT JOIN (

SELECT d.Division_ID, d.Conference_ID

FROM Divisions d

INNER JOIN Conferences c

INNER JOIN Leagues l

AND c.Conference_ID IN (@conf1, @conf2)

) d

ON d.Division_ID = g.ADiv

WHERE g.HDiv = @div

AND g.NumYear BETWEEN @season AND @season + @TimePeriod - 1

AND g.RS LIKE @rs

AND Neutral LIKE @Neutral

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Your GamesWon definition gives these errors:

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 15

Invalid column name 'LeagueName'.

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 16

Invalid column name 'ShortName'.

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 17

Invalid column name 'Division_Name'.

The columns come from:

'LeagueName' from Leagues

'ShortName' from Conferences

'Division_Name' from Divisions

The definition in my original code is repeated because it must return win, loss, and tie data for both home and away games, and for 2 different conferences (Conferences.Conference_ID = @conf1 and Conferences.Conference_ID = @conf2). Thus the 4 iterations.

The "[ADiv] IN (SELECT Divisions.Division_ID

FROM Divisions INNER JOIN

Conferences ON Divisions.Conference_ID = Conferences.Conference_ID INNER JOIN

Leagues ON Conferences.League_ID = Leagues.League_ID

WHERE (Leagues.League_ID = @league) AND (Conferences.Conference_ID = @conf1)" is there so the divisions are not hard-coded.

The "FROM" statements use different criteria:

FROM Games LEFT OUTER JOIN

Conferences ON Games.HConf = Conferences.Conference_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

Divisions ON Games.ADiv = Divisions.Division_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

(H.Conf and Adiv)

Conferences ON Games.AConf = Conferences.Conference_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

Divisions ON Games.HDiv = Divisions.Division_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

(Aconf and HDiv)

• measterbro (3/13/2015)

Your GamesWon definition gives these errors:

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 15

Invalid column name 'LeagueName'.

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 16

Invalid column name 'ShortName'.

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 17

Invalid column name 'Division_Name'.

Not bad given the absence of sample data to test against.

The columns come from:

'LeagueName' from Leagues

'ShortName' from Conferences

'Division_Name' from Divisions

The definition in my original code is repeated because it must return win, loss, and tie data for both home and away games, and for 2 different conferences (Conferences.Conference_ID = @conf1 and Conferences.Conference_ID = @conf2). Thus the 4 iterations.

Given a little sample data, the good folks here could show you how to turn this strange beast into a logical, trim, fast query reading each table only once.

The "[ADiv] IN (SELECT Divisions.Division_ID

FROM Divisions INNER JOIN

Conferences ON Divisions.Conference_ID = Conferences.Conference_ID INNER JOIN

WHERE (Leagues.League_ID = @league) AND (Conferences.Conference_ID = @conf1)" is there so the divisions are not hard-coded.

The "FROM" statements use different criteria:

Conferences ON Games.HConf = Conferences.Conference_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

Divisions ON Games.ADiv = Divisions.Division_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

(H.Conf and Adiv)

Conferences ON Games.AConf = Conferences.Conference_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

Divisions ON Games.HDiv = Divisions.Division_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

(Aconf and HDiv)

Come on, you know you want to. In return you get a tried and tested solution to this problem and a first-rate training session to boot. What's not to like? 😀

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• i split my query into ~4K pieces and assigned each piece to a variable. Then i assigned them to one, and executed it.

SET @DynamicPivotQuery = @part1 + @part2 + @part3 + @part4;

EXEC sp_executesql @DynamicPivotQuery

It now works correctly.

• measterbro (3/12/2015)

Unfortunately I am not able to post data or DDL since it is proprietary. I just thought there might be a known problem with dynamic SQL and appending variables, such as needing to break up the SQL into smaller chunks.

There won't be much proprietary data in sports league results. What little there is, you could obfuscate. You've already posted ddl for the games table.

• measterbro (3/13/2015)

i split my query into ~4K pieces and assigned each piece to a variable. Then i assigned them to one, and executed it.

SET @DynamicPivotQuery = @part1 + @part2 + @part3 + @part4;

EXEC sp_executesql @DynamicPivotQuery

It now works correctly.

No it doesn't! It's a huge lumbering overblown monster hogging ten times the resources and taking ten times as long to run as it should. You're only one third [/url]of the way there:

Make it work - it returns correct results

Make it fast - not started

Make it pretty - not started

Surely you don't want to leave the job unfinished?

• I've aware that when you concatenate strings, the data type of the entire concatenated string will be set according to the implicit data type of the first item, which can cause the kind of problem you had. So if the first item is an ordinary string, the whole concatenated string will be chopped down to the maximum length of 4000 for unicode or 8000 for non-unicode. Maybe making the first item an explicitly NVARCHAR(MAX) data type will help, like this:

SET @DynamicPivotQuery = CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),N'') +N'.....your concatenated stuff here...

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply