DSN connecting via ODBC

• I am drawing a blank here and need a little help. I have a database that connects to the machine using a DSN. I need to use this source to update data in my SQL 2000 database. I need to update fields using a schedule (SQL Agent) so I thought that connecting via ODBC was the best solutioin for me.

How do I add this DSN to my linked servers using the ODBC connection?

If this isnt the best way yo accomplish this task then I would be eagar to learn the proper method.

• [font="Verdana"]http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=dsn

Mahesh[/font]

MH-09-AM-8694

• Thaks for the help. I am a programmer and kknow the connections strings, but it wasn't working. Sometimes you doubt yourself when you don't get the desired results.

The problem was that the database is a MAS90 BD and it can not be added as a linked server. This is what I was trying to do. I was able to create an ODBC through a DTS package to update a SQL table nightly and then query my SQL to update values throughout the day.

I wish that the MAS90 DB was capable of becoming a Linked Server so that I could grab live data throughout the day, but it doesn't work that way. Or so I am told.

• [font="Arial"]

Hello,

We feed data from several MSSQL databases to the MAS90 data base. We use data extracted in defined structures and then feed it to MAS90 via it's import facilities. The data is standard delimited content.

Check your MAS90 documentation regarding this feature.

This is a guess on my part but probably MAS90 is not allowed to be a linked server due to security issues and due to the propriatory table designs in the accounting system. The data base is perfectly capable of being a linked server but it would cause all sorts of confusion if data starting appearing in the MAS90 tables that should have had an audited process linked to it too. Also when MAS90 does a software update that includes table changes, it might be that your data content has no home.

Regards,

Terry

[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply