Downgrade database from 2012 to 2008R2

• I think I know the answer, having looked around, but wanted to be sure...

If I want to downgrade a database from 2012 to 2008 (mostly because all my books are in 2008, and it gets expensive fast!), just script it:

create table scripts

populate table scripts/inserts

create a script to build all the stored procedures and views

there isn't much in the way of users and groups, because I'm basically learning on the computer. Can I cheat and install SQL 2012 on another machine and then script it? (I'm using integrated security right now, if it matters.)

Any big steps I'm missing? :unsure:

(Probably should have posted this in the Noob section!)

Thanks!

Pieter

• Pretty much script all objects (including users with their permissions if applicable), export all data, recreate the DB

Or you could leave it on SQL 2012 and use the 2008 books, there's lots of new stuff in 2012 but the only area that changed is memory management.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • that and the windowing functions.

Thanks!

• That's mostly new stuff. The old windowing functions from SQL 2008 still work, they haven't been broken. There's additional functionality, but your 2008 book should still be fine for the 2008 subset.

Memory management is an area that has changed, things that were true in 2008 are not true in 2012.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply