Don't Let the Economic Downturn Get You Down

• blandry (1/8/2009)

As a manager and executive...

And as a manager and executive you have always shared 100% of your knowledge with your subordinates and peers? "Hey team, just wanted to let you know that there will be a 20% reduction in headcount in the next six weeks. Thought you might like to know."

Frankly, I am just fine keeping some knowledge and information to myself, for myself. If you want to call that "hoarding" then so be it.

James Stover, McDBA

• James, as a manager, there are definitely things you need to withhold. Some of that is business related, some confidentiality, etc.

However as a worker, you shouldn't withhold information required to do the job, or document things, so that you are more valuable. You should document things.

I think that building your skills is important, but as pointed out by mhaskins, you need to show them off a bit. Tackle a pet project, improve something, show your manager you've gotten better at something. They might not realize it.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/10/2009)

James, as a manager, there are definitely things you need to withhold. Some of that is business related, some confidentiality, etc.

However as a worker, you shouldn't withhold information required to do the job, or document things, so that you are more valuable. You should document things.

I think that building your skills is important, but as pointed out by mhaskins, you need to show them off a bit. Tackle a pet project, improve something, show your manager you've gotten better at something. They might not realize it.

As a contractor, I agree 100%. You come in, do the job, then leave documentation for the poor soul left maintaining your work. As a full-timer, I don't automatically agree (anymore). I used to, but getting the mangelement shaft a few times teaches lessons. It's a game and I know how to play it.

Having said that, this is why I only do contract work now. I hate the game. I always know exactly where I stand with the boss. Plus, I don't have to put up with the inane performance review. A truly evil piece of work devised by some twisted HR megalomaniac. My only measure of success (or failure) is if the boss asks me back to do more work.

James Stover, McDBA

• majorbloodnock (1/8/2009)

He, he

I can just see the new posts being typed right now

"Dear SSC

Plz tell me what makes a good DBA and what else I need to know to become one.

No, I'm not going to give you any more information.

No, I'm not going to be any more explicit.

No, I haven't done a search to see if any part of my question has been has been answered in other threads.

Yes, posting this is all the "research" I've done.

Yes, I expect you to put in all the effort for me.

Thanks in advance

:D:D:D

Odd that you should bring this subject up... I saw a couple just about like that on SSC this last week. One of them was something like "I have an interview for DBA position this Friday. Give me info on what DBA does immediately."

Yeah... that's gonna happen. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I'd like to think that's the minority, but who knows. When you're struggling to find a job, you can really be driven to do things. At least he's asking. Hopefully he's researching as well and is honest about his skills.

I don't mind people going for jobs a little beyond them, but don't deceive the company with your experience.

• James Stover (1/9/2009)

blandry (1/8/2009)

As a manager and executive...

And as a manager and executive you have always shared 100% of your knowledge with your subordinates and peers? "Hey team, just wanted to let you know that there will be a 20% reduction in headcount in the next six weeks. Thought you might like to know."

Frankly, I am just fine keeping some knowledge and information to myself, for myself. If you want to call that "hoarding" then so be it.

Appropriate for a manager is no different from appropriate for anyone else. It is appropriate to be prepared to share with anyone likely to do part of your job any or all information that might help them do that part of your job. It is inappropriate to share confidential information with those who shouldn't be privy to it, and it is inappropriate to share any knowledge that would be irrelevant to the recipient.

Your manager shouldn't tell you about pending job cuts within his/her team any more than you should tell a user one of your SA passwords. However, in the same way you might share an SA password with another DBA in your team, it's perfectly appropriate for a manager to share pending job cut information with, for example, another manager who's agreed to cover an extended leave of absence.

And I suspect I'm saying nothing except what you know already. Hoarding is hoarding, and I think we all know what that means, and despite feeling as if it ought to, it actually does nothing for your job security - quite the opposite, in fact, if you're found out.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• ...despite feeling as if it ought to, it actually does nothing for your job security - quite the opposite, in fact, if you're found out.

I could argue this position forever, really. However, suffice it to say that what should happen and what actually happens are quite different. In theory, a "hoarder" should be sacked on the spot. The reality is that a "hoarder" carves out a fiefdom and grows their power-base from it. This is especially prevalent in government.

Wiki has it nailed on the head: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiefdom

James Stover, McDBA

• You're right, of course, James. "Should" and "does" aren't always the same thing.

I have seen a couple of instances where a manager/management team/company has been too weak to act, and has allowed a situation to develop resulting in their being held to ransom - exactly the situation you're alluding to. I've also seen several instances where attempts by an employee to manufacture such a situation for their benefit have resulted in a rapid obsoleting of the system (or part thereof) in question, allowing the company to make that employee redundant. It's also amazed me how quickly a "business critical" system can be made extraneous to requirements in order to bring this about.

All I can say with absolute certainty is that if one tries to build said fiefdom, it'll force the company's hand. You'll remove uncertainty one way or the other, 'cos you'll find out almost immediately how the business intends to act.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/11/2009)

I'd like to think that's the minority, but who knows. When you're struggling to find a job, you can really be driven to do things. At least he's asking. Hopefully he's researching as well and is honest about his skills.

I don't mind people going for jobs a little beyond them, but don't deceive the company with your experience.

I absolutely agree that pressing the envelope a is a good thing. In fact, if you don't, you're probably not trying to get ahead or even just make a more secure job for yourself...

... but this is the day and the age of the Internet and search engines. The person didn't even try... what's so hard about typing "DBA Responsibilities" and reading a couple of articles? Yeap, I know that SSC is a good resource, but at least try on your own, first. Apparently the guy thought he could become a surgeon overnight and didn't even know what a bandaid was.

So far as "honest about his skills" on the interview... BWAAA-HAAA!!!! Yeah, I'll just bet THAT's gonna happen... πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• James Stover (1/10/2009)

Plus, I don't have to put up with the inane performance review. A truly evil piece of work devised by some twisted HR megalomaniac. My only measure of success (or failure) is if the boss asks me back to do more work.

Couldn't agree more... What some salaried people don't understand is, that's true for them, as well.

Performance reviews... yeach... if a manager actually does their bloody job in the first place and properly documents success/problems/failures, there's no need for performance reviews. I know lot of managers that just don't have the nads to write a bad review for folks that deserve it. Of course, I know a lot of managers that don't know how to do an interview, either.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff,

I agree, he's probably not going to get the job, and probably shouldn't, but given the people I've interviewed and talked with others about, maybe he will. Surprisingly how many people get DBA jobs and hold them for years without really knowing much about SQL.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/13/2009)

Jeff,

I agree, he's probably not going to get the job, and probably shouldn't, but given the people I've interviewed and talked with others about, maybe he will. Surprisingly how many people get DBA jobs and hold them for years without really knowing much about SQL.

I agree. Presumably he dresses well....

:D:D:D:P

• Speaking of the economic downturn and its effect on IT spending and jobs, I highly recommend the following article. It also speaks to the question in another recent discussion here about what IT skills are and will be in demand:

β€œIn a Surging Analytic Market, Will Demand Outpace Supply?”

http://www.tdwi.org/News/display.aspx?ID=9269

Summary:

The Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing markets appear to be holding steady or poised for growth, despite the economic climate and reductions in other IT spending. The Analytics segment includes both Performance Management and Data Warehousing. Microsoft is well-positioned in the overall Analytics market (#4 after Oracle, SAS, and SAP). Microsoft is #6 in PM and #3 in DW platforms. The demand for Analytics could far exceed the supply of IT and consulting talent to provide it.

It is my opinion that Microsoft's BI growth rate will be better than the overall BI market due to its pricing advantages for what is a very powerful BI platform (as of the release of SQL Server 2005). In this economic environment, companies will be looking at their BI spend very carefully.

• Bob Abernethy (1/13/2009)

Speaking of the economic downturn and its effect on IT spending and jobs, I highly recommend the following article. ... β€œIn a Surging Analytic Market, Will Demand Outpace Supply?”

http://www.tdwi.org/News/display.aspx?ID=9269

Thanks for the article notice Bob, and great summary too.

While I agree in the general upturn in the market for BI and Analytical projects (witnessing now my current employer has recent interest in it), the article does seem to be flavored on behalf of a marketing attempt, although it doesn't directly say so... but that's marketing. Bind your ads to related content, and if content doesn't exist, create it.

In a down market, the trend always goes towards trim and smarter, to survive. In up markets, the "try anything" gains momentum. Unfortunately, many attempts to trim, often leave gaping holes, and make the analytics more difficult than they should be. Without thought to that arena before an economic down, it is highly unlikely that a company can pull that kind of magic out of the hat.

(edited typo)

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/13/2009)

Jeff,

Heh... yep... I absolutely agree that "systems" DBA's don't need to know much of anything of SQL to actually do the job if that's what it is. I just don't believe this guy even knows what a "DBA" actually is and, apparently, isn't willing to spend much time finding out.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply