Don't Learn, Do It

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Don't Learn, Do It

• Ok... here's one for you that a whole lot of people don't understand (borrowing a part of a quote from the article)...

"Don't try to learn T-SQL. Try to learn to do your current job using T-SQL."

If people spent more time learning the language of data, they wouldn't have to spend so much time learning other stuff.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Why does this seem to apply to so many things these days?  It's not just learning a programming language.

Thanksgiving morning, I received a Teams message from an offshore resource asking about a message she received when deploying a Power BI report.  For starters, she advertised herself as an experienced Power BI developer.   The setting she missed is pretty basic. A Google search turned up the explanation on the first hit.

An experienced developer complained to me that until SQL has a date, and a time, datatype, it will never be a very good database.  This person has been writing code since the 90's.  When I told him that date and time types have been in there for almost 15 years, he was astounded.  His response?  Why didn't they (me) tell anyone?

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Hey Michael, I had to laugh at the predicaments you've described. I'm sorry to laugh, but know it's more because I can relate, rather than anything else.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I always give a little leeway on Google searches, as we get different results from each other. However, I do expect people to take a minute and go looking. I know I've learned that I should spend my time before asking someone to spend theirs.

• Michael L John wrote:

An experienced developer complained to me that until SQL has a date, and a time, datatype, it will never be a very good database.  This person has been writing code since the 90's.  When I told him that date and time types have been in there for almost 15 years, he was astounded.  His response?  Why didn't they (me) tell anyone?

What's even more amazing about that is someone that thinks that splitting dates from times in the same table is some sort of miracle panacea and a "Best Practice".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• FYI Many of the production restores I've had to perform was due to devs learning the delete statement.

BTW I messed up a couple of client machines myself tampering with powershell because the first examples I got to see used a parameter "-force"

Picking the low fruit did cost a couple of trees!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Johan Bijnens.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply