Don't Get On This Page

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Don't Get On This Page

• interesting - and majorly worrying

quite a few are based around facial recognition.

some of what we do is eye tracking for adverts (for example percentage of people who look up at an advert  when the server is not facing them). Although we can't identify the individual . I might have to show this to our teams.

MVDBA

• "Who wants their boss to come after reading this page, with your organization and fine listed? I'm guessing most of us would prefer to not be on that page, or at least not want our boss to know."

http://www.enforcementtracker.com/

What's interesting is how many of these GDPR fines are levied against private individuals rather than organizations.

"..The fine was imposed against a private person who was using CCTV at his home. The video surveillance covered areas which are intended for the general use of the residents of the multi-party residential complex, namely: parking lots, sidewalks, courtyard, garden and access areas to the residential complex; in addition, the video surveillance covered garden areas of an adjacent property.."

Regarding the person below fined for sending emails; I'm guessing the issue was that they should have BCC instead of CC the recipients.

"..The fine was impossed against a private person who sent several e-mails between July and September 2018, in which he used personal e-mail addresses visible to all recipients, from which each recipient could read countless other recipients.."

However, these guys probably don't have to worry about what their boss would think, because... the GDPR report politely (legally?) doesn't list personal names, only "Private person".

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I appreciate this post/article, Steve. You've been talking about GDPR for over a year now. I consider it appropriate and hope that something like it comes to the US, where I live. This became even more relevant after I watched vlog this past weekend. This is a technology vlog, geared more towards consumer technology. (F5 Live, in case anyone's wondering.) In a recent episode, #534, one of the hosts mentioned that he Googled himself and came across a website which has a business model of collecting data on people, at least here in the US. (I sent the host a DM on Twitter, asking what the website was. He just told me: it's called Rocket Reach. They may be in Canada as well.) This website makes this information on you available for anyone to see. They'll take it down, for  fee.

I don't think that's at all right. I've not done anything criminal, etc. Nevertheless, there are things I don't want out there for the whole world to see. Yes, I know the "everything about you can be found online. Just Google/Bing it" line. That is not the point. I don't like someone collecting it and just making it easy for anyone to see. If people want to find out stuff about me, let them work for it.

Yes, I hope that something goes in place to stop companies/people from collecting data on me, then putting it out there and my only recourse to get rid of that is to pay them. It feels like a perverse sort of ransomware.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work wrote:

... This website makes this information on you available for anyone to see. They'll take it down, for  fee. I don't think that's at all right. I've not done anything criminal, etc. Nevertheless, there are things I don't want out there for the whole world to see. ...

MyLife.com is another one.

https://name.mylife.com/john-doe/

By default, it contains unmasked name, age, address, etc. and also the same info for linked relatives and neighbors. It also aggregates social media feeds to pull in photos and other information. It will flag the profile if they have bankruptcies, lawsuits, criminal records, etc. on file and for a fee will include that additional information.

I'm pretty sure that a website like this was used by scammers to pretext a "I need your help, please send money." phone call to my grandmother last year.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Very good point, Eric. Websites like that make it easier for people to be either an annoyance or worse. Does name.mylife.com also allow you to pay them off, in order to get your name and details about you, unlisted?

Rod

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply