Don’t Underestimate the Importance of Good Co-workers

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Don’t Underestimate the Importance of Good Co-workers

• Nice article. Thanks. I couldn't agree more!

• I suppose it depends on both the exact position and the personality of the employee.

You said you had a position that basically left you in isolation, and you hated it. Thus, for you, a team environment (or at least having somebody else who does what you do) is important to you based on your personality type.

I have a position where none of my coworkers are even in IT. And frankly, I'm perfectly happy in this situation. I've been in positions where I was part of a group where everyone did similar work, and it was nice to say "hey, my eyeballs are turning square, could you look at this and tell me what stupidity I committed?" but over all I enjoy the lone wolf position better than a group environment.

So, I guess it's horses for courses. When you're looking at a postion you need to account for the position's individual vs group nature and make sure it matches with your own. 🙂

• Hi,
    Interesting article. The alone number is the one. From my point of view, it is good to get a comfortably environment to work. But that comfortably depends on each person. And that´s when a conflict ariaises. I have to admit that I have a strict character. I like the office when it runs under my rules. And I am a pain in the ass for every coworker that believe that they can do their will on my department.
    As a head of Develop department, my golden rule is: let them work. And with that rule, I allways prefeer a coworker with high skills, even if they are not a "person-like" peolple. I hate micromanagement. And I have learned by the hard path.

So, I believe that in some positions,like marketing, sales, etc, it will be more desirable to have a personallity with that nature.

Miguel.

• I have to agree that the people you work with need to good people.  They don't have to do the same job, as in my current position.  I am the only Database Developer/DBA in the group.  Everyone else are System Administrators.  They come to me when they have to write SQL and want to make sure it will do what they want (or need).  They also listen patiently while I bounce ideas off them on more complex tasks.  It would be nice if I had someone with skills and knowledge closer to mine to catch those things I might miss that they won't catch.

Not complaining, much, because I really enjoy the company and the people I work with.

• mig28mx - Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:42 AM

...my golden rule is: let them work. And with that rule, I allways prefeer a coworker with high skills, even if they are not a "person-like" peolple. I hate micromanagement. And I have learned by the hard path...

Interesting thoughts on the topic.  I suppose you have to find a good balance between the two sides, skills vs personality.  I've worked with some people who were very high skilled, and I can forgive some of their personality flaws for it as long as they aren't too terrible.  It works the opposite way too, if someone is less skilled but good personalitywise, I can forgive them that as long as they are giving things an honest try and their skills aren't too terrible.

I'm not difficult to get along with, but for some reason there have been co-workers in the past who for whatever reason felt like they had to do battle with me to get things done, which in my mind anyway is interpreted as they have poor skills and personality and are trying to cover that up with aggression.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:02 AM

...They don't have to do the same job, as in my current position.  I am the only Database Developer/DBA in the group...

I can relate to that, I'm the only real database person where I work, the network/system admins only understand the database servers at a high level, and the developers tend to think I'm some sort of conjurer or sorcerer creating magical database stuff out of thin air.  I get along with a number of non-IT people too though, and I'd say even though I spend the most time with other IT people, a couple of the non-IT people are my best friends at work.

• When you're a one-man show, it's easy to have a myopic view of one's job, overestimating your skills and stagnating. We certainly learn more when we have good co-workers, particularly when working in tandem with someone who is generally your equal in terms of the role but more experienced in some specific areas.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Nice article, and it could not be more true.  I am the only DBA in our shop, in title, and it sure would be nice to be able to bounce ideas off another DBA. Good people really make a 40+ hour week easier to bear.  But, when you work for government I.T., chances are, any good people will be around long enough for the experience to move on.  We lost most of our good people, and now we have what I call a typical government I.T. shop.  Do the minimum, and if you can get away with it, just stand around and lean on a shovel while those that care do the work.  Your tax dollars at work....

• Eric M Russell - Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:31 PM

When you're a one-man show, it's easy to have a myopic view of one's job, overestimating your skills and stagnating. We certainly learn more when we have good co-workers, particularly when working in tandem with someone who is generally your equal in terms of the role but more experienced in some specific areas.

I agree, to a point.  I know what I know, I know what I don't know, and I know there are things I don't know that I don't know.  Opportunities to expand my knowledge are tough but at least I have a boss who is actually pushing me to push my limits.  Changes are a happening here, now is my chance to push for changes in areas I know I don't know and improve some of our database related processes.

• It is incredibly important. Some years ago a senior manager brought two old friends into the company. Whilst each new certain areas they were quite limited in their skillsets. However they protected each other and created a very toxic atmosphere. A young graduate ended up losing their job as they did minimal mentoring with their "knowledge is power" mind set. When the manager lost his job for working on 'outside interests' the other two decided to leave. I would much rather work alone than work in that environment again!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply