Domain User Auth

• I have a user, who is part of a group (that has access to SQL Server) cannot login to SQL Server. But when I add the user directly as a login in SQL Server, he can log right in.

Any one see this before?

• Yes I have on 2000 or 2005 (can't remember which one as it was a couple of years ago). The user ended up rebooting and then it worked. Not sure why it worked, but it did. Let us know if it works for you.

Tara Kizer
    Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
    Ramblings of a DBA (My SQL Server Blog)[/url]
    Subscribe to my blog

• Could be because the user was added to the group a few minutes before. If your group membership changes after you log in, your token doesn't automatically update, and you have to log off/on to regenerate the token. And maybe that's what's happening here as well -- the described behavior would certainly happen here.

Another flaky circumstance can happen if a user changes their password but doesn't log off/on again. I have seen that generate login failures but in that case it would fail for all attempts to log in including giving the user their own login.

• Apparently, user has rebooted the machine already, and had not reset their password. The reboot should have updated the access token information as well.

I will drop the group and re-add it to SQL Server and see if that helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply