Domain Rename with a domain that contains SQL Clusters

• Ok first this is a domain RENAME not a domain move, meaning that DomainA is being renamed to DomainB, NOT nodes are a member of DomainA and we want to move to DomainB. Therefore the SIDs stay the same and at no time do DomainA and DomainB both exist.

My question is beyond a reboot of the nodes what else may be required? I'm not finding much on this topic. I'm having a hard time believing it could be that easy..

I'm fairly sure that the existing domain logins will show the wrong domain but I don't think that matters because their SID will be unchanged. But beyond that ant thoughts?

CEWII

• Not sure, but your registered SPNs may need to be updated after the rename if the FQDNs change with the rename.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Elliott Whitlow (4/6/2012)

Ok first this is a domain RENAME not a domain move, meaning that DomainA is being renamed to DomainB, NOT nodes are a member of DomainA and we want to move to DomainB. Therefore the SIDs stay the same and at no time do DomainA and DomainB both exist.

My question is beyond a reboot of the nodes what else may be required? I'm not finding much on this topic. I'm having a hard time believing it could be that easy..

I'm fairly sure that the existing domain logins will show the wrong domain but I don't think that matters because their SID will be unchanged. But beyond that ant thoughts?

CEWII

Elliott, this is a Windows 2008 cluster?

Are the SQL server services using group or SID based security?

Are your domain admins migrating accounts from domain A to domain B or just creating new with same naming?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (4/7/2012)

Elliott, this is a Windows 2008 cluster?

Are the SQL server services using group or SID based security?

Are your domain admins migrating accounts from domain A to domain B or just creating new with same naming?

Windows 2008R2 Cluster yes.

I chose Service SIDs when I installed.

As I said this is a domain rename, the existing domain is being is being renamed to the new name. There will be no account migration because the accounts will already exist.

CEWII

• opc.three (4/6/2012)

Not sure, but your registered SPNs may need to be updated after the rename if the FQDNs change with the rename.

Hadn't thought of the SPNs, good reminder, thanks.

CEWII

• We are presently going through the addition of a new domain and the re-domain-ing of SQL Servers. Microsoft's advice in our case was for cluster rebuilds (whether they were Windows 2003 R2 or Windows 2008 R2 clusters, we also have a mix of SQL 2000/2005/2008 R2) to maintan supportability.There may be some potential 'gotchas' in your case as well. I would open up a case with MS PSS just as a 'due diligence' step.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply