Does Maturity Make a DBA?

• Slick84 (7/26/2009)

So how about a DBA who does not possess those qualities and does not qualify the criteria you have laid out? What's wrong with them? If I'm reading your editorial correctly than it seems to indirectly state any DBA w/out those qualities or attributes wouldn't be as dedicated to his/her job, are they any less mature?

Please....correct me if I'm wrong. I would love to hear your opinion.

These aren't criteria for being a successful DBA, but observations I have made of many of the DBAs I have met over the years. I am sure there are a lot of successful DBAs who have a wide variety of characteristics not listed. I just thought it was interesting that, that in my observations, there seemed to be a correlation between the characteristics I listed and DBAs I have met, and I was wondering why.

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• Brian,

You raise an interesting question. I have never given the matter such thought as you have. My IT friends are DBAs. And, having been a SysAdmin for over ten years, I made the career transition to being a DBA myself. The qualities which standout for these friends are dependability and trustworthiness. And, I feel privileged to be following in their footsteps as DBA.

Sincerely,

Jacques Dejean

• Not to be a nit-picker Lynn, but Brad did specifically refer to religion.

"People of faith, participating in their chosen religion."

For many people you can't have one without the other, that you choose to separate them is rather funny, you are probably not from the south 🙂 Of course, this is a SQL Server forum , there are plenty of other websites to have that argument.

Lynn Pettis (7/26/2009)

mosl31 (7/26/2009)

I would agree with all except the last one. I don't think DBA's are more religious than anyone else. Probably they are more like a typical scientist who is skeptical of religion in general, so I would say they are less religious.

Many people who work in technical jobs have these traits in general. These are not sexy jobs. Most DBA jobs are "feed your family" type of work by people who really enjoy solving difficult problems and don't want to be road warriors. I know I like being with my family every night, although I know management and sales work pays much better, I don't want to do the travel.

Please don't confuse Faith with Religion. They ARE NOT the same. Faith is believe in something that can not be seen, measured, or defined as in my faith in God. Religion is a doctrine such as Catholism, or Islam, Buddishism, etc.

• mosl31 (7/26/2009)

Not to be a nit-picker Lynn, but Brad did specifically refer to religion.

"People of faith, participating in their chosen religion."

For many people you can't have one without the other, that you choose to separate them is rather funny, you are probably not from the south 🙂 Of course, this is a SQL Server forum , there are plenty of other websites to have that argument.

Lynn Pettis (7/26/2009)

mosl31 (7/26/2009)

I would agree with all except the last one. I don't think DBA's are more religious than anyone else. Probably they are more like a typical scientist who is skeptical of religion in general, so I would say they are less religious.

Many people who work in technical jobs have these traits in general. These are not sexy jobs. Most DBA jobs are "feed your family" type of work by people who really enjoy solving difficult problems and don't want to be road warriors. I know I like being with my family every night, although I know management and sales work pays much better, I don't want to do the travel.

Please don't confuse Faith with Religion. They ARE NOT the same. Faith is believe in something that can not be seen, measured, or defined as in my faith in God. Religion is a doctrine such as Catholism, or Islam, Buddishism, etc.

No, I'm not from the South, I'm a Westerner. And for me Faith Religion. I am a Christian by Faith. A Southern Baptist by choice. But that doesn't mean I don't disagree with some of doctrine, because I do. Also, I'm not a hell fire and brimstone tyoe either.

Also Brad indicated People of Faith participating in their Religion. I do participate in my religion as well. I served in the AWANA program at three Baptists churches over a period of 12 years. Last couple of years, I've taken a break.

• Well me thinks DBA likes control, rigid and accept most vendor implementations on the physical and likes pocket protectors. There are only a few things I think are innovation on the physical INDEX COLUMN INCLUDE and the performance related features in 2005. DBA on the Microsoft platform also likes Windows security choosing to ignore ANSI SQL DCL (data control language).

😉

:hehe:

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I guess I must be the exception that proves the rule then huh 🙂

Ex Hells-Angel, athiest, weekend drunkard - i.e. anything but conservative, or a person of faith. I do recognise most of the other traits described in myself though.

Personally, I used to be an engineer, and I find lots of ex-engineers in this field. Something about the engineer mindset seems to fit quite well with this job. That's one reason why the apparent DBA vs Developer war I hear of on here so much confuses me since most of them are engineers just like us - engineers as a people type rather than a job title.

Note for USA readers - in the UK the Hells Angels are just a bike club, a rowdy bike club, but not the proto-mafia they are portrayed as in the USA. Here the nearest we get to demanding money with menaces is collecting Easter eggs for our local childrens' hospital

• Brad,

I think all of your points are spot on! I'm not sure why people are complaining about the last one - after all, being an 'atheist' is a form of faith - it's not *believing* in a God who sets out principles governing ones life. So, being an atheist would mean that you should be able to do whatever is right in your own eyes, after all, who says there is anything wrong about telling fibs?

PM

• Lynn Pettis (7/26/2009)

Slick84 (7/26/2009)

So how about a DBA who does not possess those qualities and does not qualify the criteria you have laid out? What's wrong with them? If I'm reading your editorial correctly than it seems to indirectly state any DBA w/out those qualities or attributes wouldn't be as dedicated to his/her job, are they any less mature?

Please....correct me if I'm wrong. I would love to hear your opinion.

I think you are reading more into it than was meant. Recall, Brad said that those DBA's that he has meant have shown one or more of those characteristcs.

That very well could be true!

--
    :hehe:

• Given that Brad's statment "fits into one or more of the following categories" is actually rather broad, I'd have to say that it applies to most people I've met in my life - none of these are restricted to a DBA.

I'd guess most professionals fit into the "hard-working" category, simply because it takes a lot of hard work to become one. My massage therapist fits in there too; it's a lot of work to run your own business. All of my immediate neighbors display two or more of the characteristics Brad lists, and they come from all walks of life.

I know a few, fun-loving people who would look at that list and think "fuddy-duddy" (an American word meaning "booooring", for those outside the USA). They would be wrong in most cases. Isn't it interesting the assumptions we make? 😉

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• Um, no offense, but Buddhists first of all don't use the term Buddhism; and secondly we don't call it a religion because it is a non theistic 'spiritual philosophy'. But if it helps everyone else, please feel free to call us Buddhist.

May you be happy, may you be well,

Rich

• We see in the world that which surrounds us. It is easy to look out the window and say the whole world is what we see outside.

With that said, I meet at least four of your characteristics, so maybe you're onto something.

• The point is that these people *tend* to be socially responsible (don't flame me - faith does NOT necessarily = socially responsible), and their religious participation is often a result of that. Religion itself actually has (almost) nothing to do with it.

I have faith in gravity. As for community service, I vote, pay taxes, don't pollute and donate blood. I support my local business establishments. I find that religious affiliation has little bearing on the qualities of specific individuals or their job performance. A study of history and current events tends to confirm this observation.

I think the word responsibility is the droid we are looking for.

🙂

• rsnow (7/27/2009)

Um, no offense, but Buddhists first of all don't use the term Buddhism;

What term do you use?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/27/2009)

rsnow (7/27/2009)

What term do you use?

There are a lot of traditions. Tibetans use the term 'practitioner', nangpa.

But it's interesting that a 'religion' that is all about breaking out of '-isms' is so often termed an '-ism'.

Life is weird and wonderful...

--Rich

• rsnow (7/27/2009)

GilaMonster (7/27/2009)

rsnow (7/27/2009)

What term do you use?

There are a lot of traditions. Tibetans use the term 'practitioner', nangpa.

But it's interesting that a 'religion' that is all about breaking out of '-isms' is so often termed an '-ism'.

Life is weird and wonderful...

--Rich

It fills the role of "religion" as defined and understood in Anglo/Western culture. The human need to put things into categories is the basis of all language, and thus "Buddhism" gets put in the category of "religion", because it answers questions about the human spirit. We don't have a word/concept for "spiritual, but non-religious", as far as I know.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply