Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck, and Dodge

• The best customer support that I ever had was with Lenovo (ThinkPad). I had a DELL previously but never again.

Long story short: The issue at the time was that I had purchased a R60 (same as a T-series) as a CTO (configured-to-order) system. I checked the wrong box on the "wireless" feature so I didn't get an integrated wireless card. No problem, I'll just order one separately. The card was shipped from Lenovo within a week.

Problem: The wireless card didn't come with two (2) tiny (microscopic), metric screws that were needed to secure the card in the motherboard slot.

Customer Satisfaction:

Although it took a little while to get the screws, I always spoke to people (located here in the U.S.A. - Georgia, Colorado, etc.). They were always courteous and friendly and fully understood my problem. I did get transferred around quite a bit (never disconnected, v-mail, etc.), eventually going full circle. Eventually my problem was assigned to a case worker (in Canada) that personally handled and tracked my issue. During the problem resolution, together we:

- Realized that there was an error in the BOM (Bill-of-Materials) for the [separately orderable] wireless card part. I was able to talk to key individuals about this and actually worked with them in attempts to get it corrected.

- Shipped two replacement orders, 2-day from HK, trying to get a corrected BOM, along with dedicated pick-up by UPS of the parts to be returned.

- Eventually shipped a special package containing the tiny screws.

All, in all, a very pleasant experience with customer support with a very unique problem. It was a team effort and my satisfaction was key.

N.B. The support documentation (on-line) for their computers and software is the best I've ever seen anywhere. It's like the good old days with the IBM mainframes.

[font="Arial Narrow"](PHB) I think we should build an SQL database. (Dilbert) What color do you want that database? (PHB) I think mauve has the most RAM.[/font]

• I agree Toshiba is not helping you. However, you may be able to get it running again:

- Remove the battery.

- Run the device WITHOUT the battery.

- If it works, the battery has a short; if you want to keep the device, buy (ouch) a new battery.

- This happened to me with a Toshiba Satellite; a kind local tech made this check and didn't charge me for it. Apparently, he's seen this before. =Marty=

Regards,

R Martin Ladner
    futureec.com

• R Martin Ladner (1/14/2010)

I agree Toshiba is not helping you. However, you may be able to get it running again:

- Remove the battery.

- Run the device WITHOUT the battery.

- If it works, the battery has a short; if you want to keep the device, buy (ouch) a new battery.

- This happened to me with a Toshiba Satellite; a kind local tech made this check and didn't charge me for it. Apparently, he's seen this before. =Marty=

done that. Removed the batter, tried to boot with AC only. No good, only a flashing cursor in the upper left, just like the good old DOS days.

Replaced battery, booted without AC. Same result. Let batter discharge over a couple hours.

removed battery, using AC, boot. Same result.

Put battery in, won't boot, no charge. Charge with AC, won't boot.

• I get a SQL ServerCentral.com about once every week or so, but never read it.

Then I read this because of the catchy title, and its a rant about a guy that can't fix his PC. Are you kidding me?

I'm an Oracle DBA, and we have our only weekly rags, but the circulate interesting and useful DATABASE information. Do you guys ever partake in editorials like that?

My laptop doesn't work ... boo freakin' hoo.

• PC Magazine used to do an annual survey of Customer Satisfaction.

I just did a search and it looks like the last one they did was in 2006.

Is there any "trusted independant third party" still doing these types of surveys?

• jferrel-1093506 (1/14/2010)

I get a SQL ServerCentral.com about once every week or so, but never read it.

Then I read this because of the catchy title, and its a rant about a guy that can't fix his PC. Are you kidding me?

I'm an Oracle DBA, and we have our only weekly rags, but the circulate interesting and useful DATABASE information. Do you guys ever partake in editorials like that?

Editorials are just that, editorials. You obviously haven't taken the time to read the numerous articles that have been published on SSC or linked to from other sites, or perused the various forums where much good information has been exchanged.

Sorry your laptop doesn't work either, now where is that violin....

I think the fact that you took the time to complain about an editorial, along with the fact that you are an Oracle DBA with a broken laptop, speaks volumes.

----------------------
    https://thomaslarock.com

• True Lynn, I have not read much else on SSC.... but as disgusted as he is about customer support, I can equate that to me having to wade through mind numbing articles in hopes of learning something that I might be able to use in real life.

If I want to hear whining, I'd go over to accounting and pull up a chair.... they are always bitching about something!

I also like moonlite walks on the beach, car shows, and cuddling by the slider during a rain storm...

LOL

• Ahhh yes.. A well tuned database does give you some free time, Tom.

And who said I was the one with the broken laptop???

I think you're swell, Tom! -dork

... -dork

Aw, yes, professionalism at work.

True Lynn, I have not read much else on SSC.... but as disgusted as he is about customer support, I can equate that to me having to wade through mind numbing articles in hopes of learning something that I might be able to use in real life.

If I want to hear whining, I'd go over to accounting and pull up a chair.... they are always bitching about something!

I also like moonlite walks on the beach, car shows, and cuddling by the slider during a rain storm...

LOL

....possibly not use Toshiba in future due to their poor customer care.....

• bwillsie-842793 (1/14/2010)

PC Magazine used to do an annual survey of Customer Satisfaction.

I just did a search and it looks like the last one they did was in 2006.

Is there any "trusted independant third party" still doing these types of surveys?

I saw one recently. Asus and Toshiba were at the top, with Lenovo, Dell, and HP down. I think Apple was near the top as well.

However, the more machines you sell, the more likelihood of an issue, and there more likelihood you'll really upset someone.

• Dom Horton (1/14/2010)

:w00t:, thanks, coffee now on the keyboard.

Ahhh yes.. A well tuned database does give you some free time, Tom.

Good point - the very reason many of us are able to contribute to the SSC community or read the articles and editorials.

jferrel-1093506 (1/14/2010)

What about the other 4 distributions a week?

Laptop - a bit different from a PC. And due to warranties - there is a limit to how much one can really do on a laptop.

Congrats on being a DBA. Having achieved a lofty position; you understand that writing, communicating, going beyond the duties of tuning a database, and customer service are all a part of the job. Editorials and Articles are different in nature and not meant to deliver the same content. Read your local rag and you will see that.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Dom Horton (1/14/2010)

jferrel-1093506 (1/14/2010)

True Lynn, I have not read much else on SSC.... but as disgusted as he is about customer support, I can equate that to me having to wade through mind numbing articles in hopes of learning something that I might be able to use in real life.

LOL

HAHA - sweet.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply